𝓔𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽

Song of the chapter: long story short- Taylor Swift

11 MONTHS AFTER THE MURDER...

The cool October air was slightly comforting to Zander. He felt oddly happy in the presence of Carly. A feeling he had been longing for since he lost Scarlett eleven months before. Carly was sweet. She was a bright person with a friendly smile and a welcoming aura about her. She brought warmth back into his life that he needed.

They had only been talking for a few minutes but it had felt like hours had gone by. While he enjoyed talking to her, he was curious about what she had to say about Winter Morais and Pierce Ogden. Something definitely felt off about the whole thing and he knew he needed to get to the bottom of it or it would eat away at him. Just like Scarlett's murder had for the past few months.

Finally, after an eternity of awkward silence, Carly's eyes met his and she let out a rough sigh, "Pierce and Winter are fucking," Zander could feel the force of his jaw dropping to the ground. His eyes widened.

"How do you know that?" He questioned. She stared at him blankly. "I saw it.....well I saw something...Something I did not want to see to be honest," Carly slipped a strand of wavy brown hair behind her ear. "Are you sure that's what you saw?!" He muttered. "You're sure they're fucking?!:" She scoffed. "Why the fuck else would her mouth be all over his?! You seriously think that they're friends?! News-flash: friends don't have secret rendezvous in the school courtyard!!" she rolled her deep brown eyes at him. He had to hold back from letting out a giggle.

"So they're fucking. What's it to you?!" He asked. He knew what this could mean but was curious as to just how much Carly actually knew before jumping to conclusions. Though it wouldn't be "jumping" as much as "stepping". He had his suspicions before Scarlett's murder, though he kept them to himself so as not to hurt Scarlett. Not that it mattered much now that she was dead.

"I think they were hooking up before Scarlett was killed.." she whispered. Without so much as a second thought, he replied, "So do you think they were involved in her murder?!!" She glared at him and he quickly realised just how loud he had been. No one wants to announce someone else as a murder suspect in a public space. "Sorry...I'll try to keep it down," She groaned. "You better. We're in public, you dumbass. Anyways, I don't really know. Maybe" She paused. "Wait-do you really think Winter and Pierce could be murderers?" Now Carly was being the loud one but neither her nor Zander seemed to care very much.

"Anyone at Harborough could be the killer. Anyone."

Anyone. Hours after their conversation with Carly, that thought clung to Zander like a wet towel. Could anyone be a suspect? Was he really trying to think about that? Did he want to think about that?

Scarlett's murder had been unsolved for eleven months. Eleven months where the police were doing next to nothing. They let her die and wouldn't do a thing. Sure they questioned everyone but after that no suspects were announced. No new information was released and most importantly, no one had been arrested. The person who took Scarlett's life from right under her feet was walking free and they were just supposed to accept that?! Zander knew he could never. If they weren't going to do anything, he would. He had to.