𝓟𝓻𝓸𝓵𝓸𝓰𝓾𝓮...

Song of the chapter: Summertime Sadness- Lana Del Rey

NIGHT OF THE MURDER...

The night air was cold and stiff. The sounds of fireworks went off in the distance. Through the trees, Scarlett could see movement, as if someone was sneaking around. A few moments later, two figures came into focus. Giggles and hushed whispers were all Scarlett could hear, but it was quite obvious who the figures were. Morgan and Sage had only begun dating a few weeks before but somehow managed to become the most annoyingly sweet couple in the entire town.

Scarlett rolled her eyes at the realisation of what they were most likely doing, sneaking around in the bushes in the middle of the night. House parties in Harborough were known for three things: drunk or high teenagers, giving the local cops something to do on a Friday or Saturday night, and teenagers doing things like that.

A few minutes later, the noises died down as the two teens slipped away, heading further into the darkness. The fireworks had stopped and it was now oddly quiet. Scarlett looked over to the house, where the main party was going on. It sat on top of the hill, looking over the fire pit that rested on a large, flat ledge where Scarlett had been sitting. The bright lights of the party were still flashing inside and it seemed like the people were just as wild as they were minutes ago, but the atmosphere felt different. Everyone knew the party would be ending soon, but no one actually wanted it to.

Scarlett laid her head back on the log and closed her eyes. Parties were exhausting. Especially ones thrown by high school royalty, like Carly Brager. Scarlett wasn't exactly popular but in a town like Harborough, everyone knew you, and you knew everyone else. There was no such thing as being "invited" to parties, you just found out from whoever where it was and went. Not many people skipped parties as they were pretty much the only interesting thing about Harborough, no matter how uninterested you were in them. Scarlett was like that. Parties were just an excuse to do something, even if that "something" was watching your schoolmates get so drunk they either blackout or puke, sometimes they even did both.

As Scarlett began to drift off, she thought of the party, slowly dying out in the house. In the darkness, the trees swayed with the wind. Despite the house itself being fairly close to where Scarlett was laying, the setting remained peaceful. The sounds of nature flooded her ears and she soon fell fast asleep.

Soon enough, a heavy fog had set in, clouding the surrounding area. In the distance, over the mountain ridge, there were storm clouds rolling towards where the house sat. A loud clap of thunder startled Scarlett awake. She opened her eyes and was met with a fear-striking image.

A dark figure stood over her, knife in hand. Convincing herself this was all just some twisted dream, she pulled herself up and darted away, into the tree-line. Her heart beat into her eardrums as she panicked. Scarlett ducked down out of sight and hoped the person hadn't seen her, or if they did, they wouldn't follow her.

A few moments later, she stood up, sure that the person would leave her alone. As she dusted off her knees and prepared to walk away, she felt a tap on her right shoulder and turned around. The second she did, she let out a shrill cry for help as the person standing in front of her stabbed her in the stomach, blood seeping through her clothing. Crying out in pain, she staggered away, trying to get to the party. Her attacker ran off in the other direction as she neared the fire pit. She slumped onto the rock where she subsequently bled out.

SLAM! She jolted away as her body crashed into the ground. Scarlett's breath was heavy as she realized it was all just a dream. She began to calm down as she pulled herself up, using the log for support. As she was about to sit down on the log, she saw a figure moving around in the trees. She barely had time to catch her breath before she realised that the figure had begun approaching her...

~~~~~~

AN:
So just a little notice! The prologue is shorter than the chapters will be!! This is just a quick little idea of what happened right before the murder :)) Also please don't forget to vote as it helps <3

~~~~~~