Chapter 29 - Standing Up To Her

Start from the beginning

It took Ethan a while to move from his spot as the words he heard from his mother pierced right through his heart deeper and deeper.

It was only when Angela stood in front of him and asked if he was alright that he nodded with a sigh of disappointment. Without saying a single word to her, he headed up the stairs, slowly holding onto the rails for support as he replayed his mother's words.

When he was back to Olivia's bedroom, he sat on the chair, inched forward, then buried his face in his hands with a loud sigh and for a few minutes, he stayed that way.

When he composed himself, despite the pain in his heart, he reached for her hand and gently squeezed it.

"I'm glad I decided to stay here with you."

Just to mask the pain he felt, he forced himself to chuckle but soon enough, unable to endure it, he headed downstairs to the cellar, where not even Olivia had gone before. He grabbed a bottle of whiskey and the moment he opened it, he drank it in large gulps as he walked around the house.

When Angela saw him, she rushed to him and put her hands together as she begged him to slow down, but his eyes were already so red that he didn't want to stop. Once he drank it all, he went back to the cellar for another one.

Later, in his drunk state, he held onto the rails as he headed upstairs and when Angela offered to help, he raised his hand in the air to stop her.

When he was upstairs, he held onto the wall for support and opened the door to Olivia's bedroom. When he saw her fast asleep, he approached her with a blank expression but his eyes had turned more red.

He walked all the way to the other side of the bed, sluggishly took off his shoes then got on the bed. He lay down with his head facing the ceiling and his eyes instantly shut from all the alcohol in his body.

For a man like him, who didn't easily break down, his mother's words had him in such a fragile state that just few minutes after his eyes closed, tears trickled down the sides of his face.

~

Later in the night, Olivia finally opened her eyes. With a groan, since she still experienced some pain, she started to move her body to switch sleeping positions but the moment she faced the other side, she couldn't believe her eyes. The view before her was that of Ethan's side profile.

Finding it hard to believe he was actually there with her in the same bed, she raised her hand with struggle and slowly ran her fingers on the other side of his face. She felt the texture of his skin and confirmed he was real.

Still sleepy and tired, she drifted off to sleep but forgot to pull back her arm and for the rest of the night, it rested across his chest with her hand on his cheek.

All she knew was he was on the bed with her, unaware just how much emotional pain he had experienced earlier.

~

Later in the morning, when Ethan opened his eyes, he couldn't get up right away as he felt the weight of something on his chest. He instantly looked down and over at Olivia. The moment he saw her face, he realized he slept in the same bed with her.

With a sigh, he touched the back of her hand to have it more against his cheek. The feeling of it made him shut his eyes, taking in the warmth as comfort for what was in his heart. That moment he shared with her, even if she was unaware, became significant to him.

As soon as he remembered his mother's last words before she left, those which led him to drink, he slowly placed Olivia's hand on her side of the bed then got out of bed.

He didn't even feel the need to turn on his phone as he had no desire to find out if anyone had called him in the night. He had already ruled out the possibility of his mother calling, especially when she expressed how she felt about him.