5. An Unfortunate Distraction

My grandfather needed to rest.

I left him in peace and followed my mother out into the hallway.

"It was a terrible business," she told me once we were alone. "I thought he was going to die."

Her strained face told me how that had shocked her. The idea that my grandfather, a demigod, might die was too extraordinary to contemplate.

"Hartnor is dead," I told her, clasping her hand in mine. "He cannot hurt us again."

She nodded.

"That is something. Still, how did you defeat him when your grandfather and uncles could not?"

"I shall explain that at another time," I said, meaning I wanted to wait until my grandfather was well enough to hear my story. I did not want him to learn of my accident with the dragon's soul from someone else.

I returned to the others in the hall. Tylesin saw the grim look on my face.

"How is your grandfather?"

"He will recover," I said. "It seems Hartnor came through the town on his way to find the dragon soul."

Tylesin hissed through his teeth.

"Your grandfather is lucky to be alive, then."

"Indeed," I replied. "However, in the absence of the town's protectors, it would seem a gang of outlaws have decided to try their luck. Until my grandfather and my uncles are fully recovered, this town will be vulnerable."

I pulled my long knife from my belt and drew it from its sheath, staring at the blade hard. My saddlebags had been brought in and left on a bench. I went to one and found my whetstone. Seating myself, I began the soothing task of sharpening the knife's blade.

"Riva," Lexon said coldly.

I did not want to lift my eyes to him. A distance had grown between us since I had accidentally acquired half of the dragon soul. It was just as well, I told myself, as he was to go back to his Order and live a life of seclusion. Whatever spark between us there had been was best to die now. He had demonstrated he desired the dragon's soul more than he desired me.

"Riva, we should carry on at once," Lexon spoke.

"No," Tylesin interceded. "We have yet to speak to Riva's grandfather. We agreed we would seek his counsel in regard to the business with the Creatoress."

Lexon growled under his breath.

"You speak nonsense about the gods again," he snapped. "The gods are a myth! They do not exist and so cannot harm us!"
Tylesin shut his mouth. It was easier that way. Lexon's ignorance and his dogmatic insistence on it was trying, but we were growing used to it. I had been certain my grandfather could convince him the gods were real and that there truly was a threat from one of them. I was starting to wonder if I had made a mistake.

"We cannot leave," I said calmly, my eyes on my blade. "This town cannot be left unprotected."

"Riva!" Lexon's tone was filled with his frustration. "I agreed to this diversion so you could see your family, not so you could become distracted! I thought we would waste a day, two at most."

"Lexon, this town has no one if my grandfather and uncles are too ill to guard it. Before my grandfather chose to protect these people, they were constantly under threat from outlaws. The only reason they survive now is because of my family's presence. But outlaws are cunning, and they know how to take advantage of opportunities," I paused in my explanation, my mind turning over a number of worrying thoughts. "They realised Hartnor had nearly killed my grandfather. Maybe they even think he is dead. They have started to make raids on the road to see what happens. They will grow bolder before long. Innocent people have already died. People I have grown up with. I cannot leave when they are in danger."