Chapter 17. The Incident

Luc didn't know how long he had stayed in that position.

The sun had changed its angles countless times until it completely disappeared behind the tree line. He paid it no mind.

Darkness swallowed everything. Before Luc, her features became crystal clear.

Bong. Bong. Bong. Bong. Bong. Bong. Bong. The grandfather clock struck, shattering his dream.

It wasn't a dream, so to speak. Luc had revisited Pisinia, but this time, the ancient city was empty. No familiar faces to haunt him. No old events to remind him of his past failure. Even the urge didn't lurk about, tempting him to snap.

Luc blinked. The pair of large amber irises was the first thing that greeted him when he was back on this plane of reality. They bored into him, without fear or confusion, only something awfully close to a sneer.

Luc couldn't remember the last time he had felt this way. Small. Confusing. Utterly unsettling and unpleasant. It was a human emotion, or many mashed into one.

Her kind was known for that. They were emotional creatures, easily swayed and manipulated. All around, weak. They were the main subjects of his kind's curiosity, pity, and occasionally, scorn, but the longer Luc had been stuck with the Lessers, the more he felt related to them.

He was slowly becoming one of them.

Luc stood up quickly and straightened his frock coat. The perfect iron lines were still there. Nothing had changed. The girl's mind must still be clouded by her long sleep anyway.

Luc watched the girl push herself up while glaring at him with her accusing hazy eyes the whole time. Her shoulders and the top part of her chest were exposed due to the loose sleeping gown—soft curves in the same bronze shade he had seen a million times before, but for some reason, Luc couldn't take his eyes away.

The girl scratched her clavicles absentmindedly, making the dress fall a little further. Luc swallowed. Subtle heat rose to the surface of his fleshy shell—the very same tingling bite that had driven him to her kind in the first place. It had been too long, and at the same time, not long enough to forget...

The girl stared at him with a frown.

"How do you feel?" Luc cleared his throat. His silk necktie felt like a noose.

She huffed and threw the blanket over her head.

What did he even expect?

Luc chewed the inside of his mouth. Rain slapped against the frosty windows, as hard as his sour heart beat. Another long night, it seemed...

"Master!" The door crashed open. Albert ran in, covered in sweat, "We've got to go! Something happened at the construction site."

The coach, battered by the rain, halted in front of a makeshift gate

The coach, battered by the rain, halted in front of a makeshift gate. Mud splashed up to his knees as Luc jumped out. He pointed at the door, and Albert nodded.