The Rise of a King

KANE DIDN'T HAVE a good reason to go to war

But he did have a good reason to win this battle.

He wanted to save his friend. He didn't want to let Tempest down. He needed to prove to himself that he was worth more than being a liability.

"You can do this," Kane whispered, hyping himself up in an attempt to steady his nerves. Letting out a heavy breath, Kane rubbed his face one last time. His anxiety-ridden gaze settled on the tent situated at the base of the mountain, closest to him. He clutched the magickal bomb firmly, waiting for Tempest's signal. She hadn't told him what it was. Just that he'd know it when he saw it. "C'mon, Tempest."

The dark witches chanting increased tenfold. Kane's heart rate skyrocketed when Silver released an earth shattering wail. His head tipped backwards, swollen eyes fighting to open. But the damage was too severe to warrant even a small peek.

An empty void of darkness bloomed at his feet like a decaying rose. It unfurled, petal by petal, creating an onyx chasm of obscurity that fractured the stones at his feet. A sickening glow emanated from Silver's purple robe. The bloody symbols decorating his skin lost their golden hue, turning black. Silver's body trembled in time with the magickal staff before him.

A loud screech caught his attention. Kane's head jerked upwards and his heart practically fell out of his ass when he locked eyes with a black raven. Its deadly stare shimmered purple. He knew what that meant.

Kane fumbled for a second bomb when the sound of trees groaning overpowered the witches song. To his right Tempest rode upon a massive wave using the last of the water from Lake Glass.

She looked absolutely breathtaking with her face showing no traces of fear. Under normal circumstances Kane would be mooning over the warrior goddess into oblivion.

Except that was the signal and he had shit to blow up now.

But the raven caught him and now there were three Unseelie fae scampering up the mountain.

Towards him.

"Fuck it."

Kane popped up from behind the bush, seeing no point in trying to hide. Within the blink of an eye he launched both bombs. One hit the retreating raven, causing an explosion that blasted him into a tree. A dull ache spread throughout his back. Dark sparks soaked the night sky, creating false stars before fading away.

It smelled like burnt chicken.

The mountain shook like a leaf as the tent below blew up. Kane grabbed the belt of bombs as a willowy figure emerged from the darkness.

"Come with me and you won't get hurt," he said, yellow eyes gleaming with an unsettling taunt. A heavy aura pulsed between them, attempting to lure Kane in. He felt himself waver. Then his resolve began to crumble as something flowery bloomed in the air. It smelled like Silver, only this scent was rotten. "I can take you to the queen. She can give you anything you want. All you have to do is come with me."