The Storm Makes a Sacrifice

TEMPEST KNEW SHE was losing her mind when she found herself ranting to a babbling baby

"I can't even look at him!" she whisper-shouted, ducking behind a particularly fat palm tree. The silver armor clinked as she yanked it off, cheeks flaming pink from the heat. "He saw me naked and for what?! For what?! Because I was too tired to think straight and thought stripping was the best thing to do? I could've told him to close his eyes first!"

Tempest groaned. The sun burned like fire, scorching her naked body. She glistened like a whore writhing on a cock. At least the air was like ice, chilling the rising flush creeping upon her. It was a sweet relief when a breeze blew over her.

The baby blue dress she slipped on was billowy with puffy sleeves and a corset cinched around her waist. The fabric ended above her knees. She raised it to strap a dagger to the inside of her right thigh. Once Clarent was secured she emerged from behind her hiding spot to find Kobe strapped to a tree.

"And he went and gave you a name." Tempest shook her head. Golden sand sifted beneath her bare feet as she walked towards Kobe. "He's always making a mess of things. So annoying."

Kobe attempted to lick her fingers. Wind rustled the leaves in an ominous tune. When she glanced downwards she saw the brigade at the bottom of the cliff, getting ready to fight again.

Sirens were powerful creatures with enchanting voices and gorgeous looks. Their eyes were so alluring, so enticing that they even tempted those uninterested in sex.

That alone made them dangerous creatures. She didn't like getting mixed up with them if she could avoid it. Hell, even the mermaids avoided their ravenous cousins at all costs.

"You look worried."

Tempest chewed on her bottom lip, untying Kobe and settling the calm pup in her arms. "I have a bad feeling," she replied, watching the water for any signs of movement.

"More will die tonight," Death confirmed, joining her at the edge of the cliff. His dark hair was curled now, frizzier and fluffier from the humidity. His wide eyes landed on Kobe, softening the darkness to be found there. "I take it this is the reason you called for me."

"He needs a family."

Death hummed, conjuring up a bone for Kobe to gnaw on. "Cute."

"Will you take him?" she asked. "Raise him with your other kids?"

Death shrugged off his black shawl, tying it around his waist. His muscular body flexed when he reached out for Kobe. The excited pup relaxed in Death's arms, shifting out of his wolf form. Kobe wriggled towards Death as much as he could, pressing his ear against the broad chest offered to him.

If Tempest had to guess, Kobe was probably starved of skin to skin contact. Runts like him were never a mother's priority when there were healthier pups to care for.