Chapter 1- First Glance and A Conversation

The sky was studded with millions of twinkling stars of the galaxy. Amidst the shine, there was the moon of Poornima, unusually bright. The sweet aroma of night jasmine enveloped the gardens of King Janaka's palace. It was the night before Sita's Swayamvar. She was there, sitting on the steps of the Lakshmi-Narayan temple. Her doe-like eyes were unfocused, gazing into the night sky and seemingly lost in thought. The cool summer breeze soothed her as the grass beneath her feet gently tickled. Just when she thought she was alone, quiet footsteps brought her back from the labyrinth of thoughts. She turned around, and her eyes met a pair of honey-brown eyes. They were filled with compassion, love, and selflessness. The man's skin radiated warmth and shone as brightly as a star in the sky. His smile seemed to have strung an unforgotten chord in her heart. She felt something indescribable. Before she could say anything, the man disappeared, leaving a permanent imprint on Sita's heart. She smiled and shook her head, thinking it was just a hallucination. She decided to retire for the day. As she flopped on the bed, she felt relieved. Her mind was still subconsciously thinking about that man. He looked so real, though, she argued with her mind.

Rama tossed and turned, unable to sleep. She had innocent and curious hazel-brown eyes, he thought. Her pearly white skin competed against the moon itself. Her poise exuded graciousness and elegance. The fleeting glimpse of her radiant smile touched an unknowing feeling within him. 

This euphoric feeling, the desire to see her again. "What is it?" he thought.

***

The palace was decorated to the finest, if not more than the bride-to-be herself, and a lively buzz surrounded it. Lilies, marigolds, roses, daisies, and dahlias adorned every corner and wall. The supervisor was shouting and pointing out every little mistake the workers made. After all, the celebration needed to be perfect for the swayamvar of Mithila's ladli. The Royal Kitchen was the busiest. The sweet aroma of at least sixty-five mithais had spread throughout the east wing of the palace. The waiters were constantly going back and forth with drinks and refreshments for the guests. The mandap had been decorated exquisitely. The red and yellow tapestries hung around the mandap. Each tapestry had a goodwill message written for the bride and to-be-chosen groom. The sweet fragrance of Maithili's favourite jasmines had spread throughout the venue.

King Janaka was busy greeting and escorting kings and princes who had come from the different provinces of Bharatvarsha and the world. The Kings and Princes settled into their respective seats and waited for the ceremony to start. They boasted about their skills and wealth while betting on who would win Sita's hand in marriage. Janaka was saddened by their actions and prayed to God that his ladli would be wed to a deserving man. Guru Vishwamitra and the princes of Ayodhya, Rama and Lakshmana entered the Royal Hall. Janaka rushed forward and greeted the Guru. He escorted them to their seats.

Sita donned a dark red saree with a rich gold border. The jingling sound of her anklets resonated for the last time in her room, for now, they were going to sound in a faraway land. The girls giggled and teased her while she remained silent. Her heart ached at the thought of leaving her parents and sisters. Queen Sunayana entered Janaki's room and gestured for everyone to leave the two of them alone. She settled on a chair beside Sita and took her hands in hers. Sita looked at her mother, choking with emotions as her eyes welled up. Sunayana patted her on the head and took her in a warm, soothing embrace.

"Shh... Don't cry, Sitae. You are my brave girl, right?"

She nodded slightly and closed her eyes, trying to catch all the warmth of her mother's embrace. Her mother caressed her hair and patted her softly on the back.

"Sita, I know it's difficult for you. I have been through the same thing. But now it's time for you to leave this nest. There will be new people, new relationships, and maybe even difficulties. But remember, as long as you believe in yourself and are strong from within, you can overcome anything. Your Baba and I are always there for you, in your heart. We will be there to support you in whatever you do and be with you through the highs and lows of life."

Sita nodded and smiled at her mother. Her mother chuckled and wiped her tears away. Sunayana knew she had to be strong for Sita, despite the pain of saying goodbye to her daughter. A knock on the door disturbed their loving moment.

"Come in," Sunayana said.

A minister walked in and bowed to the princess and the queen.

He said, "Your Majesty, it is time."

Sunayana nodded and dismissed him. Sunayana blessed Sita with a smile, wishing her all the happiness in the world. She held her hands and smiled, looking into her eyes with love.

"May you always be blessed with happiness," Sunayana said, squeezing her hands.

|| Hare Krishna Hare Rama ||

Thank you so much for reading this far!! I hope you enjoyed reading this. Forgive me and correct me if you find any mistake. I hope you will stick with me and this book till the end!❤️❤️