[30] ● The Ghost Of Present Gone By ●

Start from the beginning

~~~

It had been like this for a while: a silent tension between Jonathan and Jordan, this secret that they had opted to keep without asking one another.

The air was thick even before they woke up to an unsettling heavy weight on the back of their chests that followed them as they walked past each other to get to the bathroom.

It was seven in the morning and even after a full night of rest Jonathan still felt tired.

Jordan could see the look of restlessness on his brother's face, he thought it might have gotten better over time but it had been so long now he was starting to think that that look would never leave his face.

Jordan could feel Jonathan's eyes on the back of his head, not intimidating or fearful, just quietly watching to see what Jordans next move would be.

The look got worse the more time Jordan would spend around their parents.

It was like he was trusted by Jonathan to not say anything but Jonathan didn't trust Jordan to let on that something was wrong even unintentionally.

So Jordan settled for avoiding his parents as much as possible because he didn't trust himself that much either, at least not with something this important.

Plus it made it easier for their parents not to notice the fact that Jordan avoided talking about his time with Morgan if he wasn't around them long enough for them to ask about him.

~~~

Jonathan didn't want to feel much of anything anymore even the more positive feelings that he would usually welcome with open arms he shunned snatching his pills off the kitchen counter with more force than necessary these would be his last until he got his cast off.

He could feel the look of his mom was sending him but he brushed off the unanswered question like it meant nothing to him.

It meant everything.

Getting in the car he and Jordan exchanged glances.

Jordan knew he wasn't late, Jonathan knew it too and so did their parents but none mentioned it as they rode silently to school only exchanging 'love you's' and 'goodbyes' at the school's front gates.

Jordan is slightly detached from Jonathan in order to go find Sarah.

Jonathan didn't stop him even though he and Sarah had the same classes.

They were in Mrs Tolsburry's English class, another test, Jonathan found himself knowing all the answers imagining Finley was beside him again whispering the correct answers in his ear every so often, when his pen would hover unsure as to what the answer was.

'Finley'

'Finley'

'Finley'

Jonathan found himself writing at one point on a dotted answer space on his sheet then scrubbing it out with his pen leaving a giant splosh of blue marker in between his sentences.

Mrs Tolsburry tutted at him as she walked down the aisle separating students acting as though anyone cared enough to cheat on a test with just ten questions.

Much like before when Finley was just a stranger to him being without him just made Jonathan want to physically have him near even if it was just word on a paper it made Finley really tangible like he wasn't just some made up imaginary friend.

Boyfriend.

Finley would probably say it was childish, the sentiment that the term boyfriend held and call them partners instead while they played house in his apartment pretending they were more grown up then they were like Jonathan didn't have a home to go back to at the end of the day and Finley didn't have Morgan was to hide from.