○ PREVIEW ○

☆ ~~~ ☆

It was twilight.

A half sun at the horizon with looming dark clouds perched just above Jonathan's home.

Its rooftops cutting into the sky.

It was the end of a day, the start of something new but not unfamiliar.

☆ ~~~ ☆

"Don't say it"

Jonathan hastily said his voice running over Finley's almost spoken words.

His own paranoia from his father's disregarded for privacy, preventing Jonathan from hearing the words he longed for.

"But I ... " - love you

"Tell me later"

"What I have to say can't be said later, Jon ... why do you think I came to your house"

Finley's eyes watered, his voice rising with every word. Rejection scratching at his bones.
His usual soft Jon spoken with betrayal and heartache.

"Please ... "

Jonathan begged, his hands coming to clutch around finley's shoulders. Pulling him forwards on his toes, staring strayed into his blood shot eyes.

"- To say it to your face"

"You can't "

"Jon ... You know I'd do anything for you ... But"

"Fin please don't do this"

Jonathan head shook, his heart erratic in his chest.

Willing by the gods that Finley's next words wouldn't be what he thought they might be.

Finley's hands came up from his sides rested on Jonathan's on his shoulders. 

Taking Jonathan hands in his own, bringing them to him cheek were a light tear cascaded down his cheek, disappearing between Jonathan's fingers.

"I can't keep doing this anymore ... Whatever this is- was... Jon let me go "

"You know I can't do that"

"Jonathan "

Jonathan's name coming out of Finley's mouth like a plage, a sickness that he needed to expel from his body, from his life.

Instead of the usual light airy tone of

'Jon'.

That made Jonathan feel seen like he was the only person in the room, like he was the star quarterback again making a touchdown on a field with packed bleachers with the cheers of his peers filling his ears again, Finley's voice reminding Jonathan of metropolis.

The type of tone that made Jonathan feel important, wanted again.

Finley turned away from Jonathan his breath hiccupping as sobs threatened to breach his throat and got in his dusty blue truck, his eyes caching Jonathan's in his half rolled down muddy side window Jonathan's face now reflecting Finley's look of sadness his own eyes now bubbling with emotion.

//

Clark came out of the old farm house, wiping of his dusty face and clothes, pausing at the sight of -

Jonathan staring half dazed, eyes red, after a bumbling light blue truck that kicked dirt underneath its tyres.

He had not been listening.

~~~

.