After they sent Han Ye off, the two returned to the dining table and sat next to each other. While eating his congee, Xiao Zhan thought over what Wang Yibo liked to eat, plotting up a menu plan in his thoughts. Wang Yibo, who'd been sitting quietly next to him, suddenly opened his mouth, "Xuezhang, my biaoge......what do you think about him?"

Xiao Zhan replied without thinking, "Not bad, better than other people."

"What's......good about him?"

"Oh, his looks are pretty good, his temperament isn't bad. He's outstanding in all aspects. Why hasn't your Ge had a partner up until now? Seems wrong."

"Probably hasn't met the right one......" Wang Yibo said softly. He lowered his head and continued to eat.

It had begun snowing again early in the morning, so by now a thick layer had accumulated that each step would leave a deep print. Xiao Zhan wasn't in the mood to go out in this kind of weather, so after breakfast, he went into Wang Yibo's empty study to pass the time.

There was a display case in the study with many trophies and prizes, all previously earned by Wang Yibo. Most of them were from competitions. In particular there were marathons and karate competitions among the rest.

"Pretty awesome." Xiao Zhan remembered that Wang Yibo had previously said that his grades were very good, but it seemed that he was being modest even then.

Wang Yibo put a freshly-poured glass of snow pear juice on the desk, "Just some small competitions, nothing that great."

Xiao Zhan nestled barefoot into the sofa and took a sip of the snow pear juice. It was sweet in his mouth and moistened his throat.

"Delicious."

Wang Yibo's eyes curved in a smile, "Then I'll make some more later."

Xiao Zhan met his bright, warm eyes and teased, "Silly dog, looking so harmless, so how can you fight so fiercely? Did you often secretly go outside to cause trouble? I heard from your Ge that you almost broke the bone of a classmate during a fight before? This time too, winning three-on-one, so fucking awesome2, I should be calling you Yibo Ge. "

In a flash, Wang Yibo became nervous because his dark history had been brought up. He crouched down in front of him and raised his hand to swear, "I only fought those two times. Absolutely no other times, I promise!"

Xiao Zhan looked at him cautiously and solemnly looking back at himself and his heart softened a bit to the point of collapse.

So obedient and so tender when it comes to your own matters, never retaliating when bullied, but on my behalf, you fought two times.

He was really lucky to have picked up someone who treasured him so.

Xiao Zhan secretly took a deep breath. He hid his state of mind and asked suddenly, "Where did you get my pen?"

Wang Yibo was startled, "Xuezhang, how do you know......"

"Your Ge told me." He didn't hesitate to sell Yan He out.

Wang Yibo became even more flustered. "Ah, that...that day when Xuezhang returned to school after finishing the exam, I took advantage of you going to lunch and went in to take it......"

"Oh? So it turns out it was stolen," Xiao Zhan said with a cold expression.

"I, I......" Wang Yibo couldn't find a justification to retort back, so he bit his lip anxiously and cast his gaze towards the corner of the bookcase. "Sorry, I shouldn't have stolen Xuezhang's things...... I still have that pen, so if Xuezhang wants it, then I can return it right away......"

He said this, but his face showed a look of complete reluctance.

Xiao Zhan dropped all courtesy, standing up and walking to the front of the bookcase. With one glance, he saw a wooden box placed on the second shelf. When he opened it, he saw there was a very ordinary black pen resting inside on a satin cushion. It had been worth a dollar in the stationary store, so if he'd lost one or two of them, he would've never realized. The pen cap was cracked, but since it was packed in such an exquisite box, it looked like a horrible flaw.

"I'll take it then." He stretched out his hand in the pose of preparing to grab it.

Wang Yibo immediately blocked him, "Xuezhang, it can't even be used for writing anymore because it's broken. It'd be useless if you took it back......"

"You should get rid of it if it's useless. I might as well throw it away."

"No!" Wang Yibo was so anxious that he nearly pressed him into the bookcase. "Xuezhang, gift it to me, I beg you."

"Why should I give it to you? Give me a reason."

"Because......because this is all I have, the only thing of yours......" Wang Yibo bowed his head to look at him earnestly, the expression in his eyes pitiful.

Xiao Zhan went blank for a moment. His first reaction was 'how is this possible?'. Although he didn't spoil Wang Yibo very much, he'd still given him plenty, so how could this be the only thing?

He thought it over carefully. It seemed that what he'd given had all been things to eat or play with, there really hadn't been anything he could keep.

In this respect, he'd been really negligent. Moreover, they were stuck together every day, so they naturally had no need for keepsakes to mope over or whatever and so, to no surprise, he'd neglected that. But Wang Yibo obviously doesn't think so. For him, he needed something that he could pin his feelings on.

This silly dog is maybe a bit too insecure.

Xiao Zhan 's thoughts swirled and he immediately came up with a solution. He calmly put the pen back again and closed the lid.

"Then I'll give it to you. In the future, just ask me directly if you want something."

Wang Yibo hugged him happily, "Thank you, Xuezhang! You're so great!"

Xiao Zhan patted his back, a small smile on his face.

If a broken pen satisfies you this much, you'll be pleasantly surprised in a few days.

Footnotes:

1. Social media page (朋友圈): pengyouquan aka Friend Circle, the social media aspect of WeChat called WeChat Moment ↩

2. Niubi (牛比): literally cow vagina, slang meaning fucking awesome/cool/great/terrific ↩