CHAPTER 13

Bounding

"Shit, the kid's bleeding out," I said. I caught my breath and depressed the PTT. "Red, I need Doc. How copy?" I said.

It wasn't long before Red answered. "Solid copy." I heard the intensity in his voice. "Doc is oscar mike!"

There was covering fire from every position as I watched Doc sprint towards me. I let off five bursts as he came close. I turned my rifle muzzle towards the ground as Doc ran through my line of fire. Sprinting into the barn, Doc jumped over the T-Man I'd just killed. He looked at the body, then at me.

"Jesus, Kelly, you okay? You hit?" he asked.

I nodded no, keeping my eyes on the firefight before me. "I'm good, Doc. The kid's in bad shape, though."

"Yeah, well, your face is all bloody, Kelly. Are you sure you're alright?" he asked.

I smiled, the reality of my kill sinking in. "I'm all squared away, Doc. Not my blood," I said as I looked for another target.

As he moved to care for the boy, I heard my mother's voice. Peter, Hook, and Wendy were now haunting me more than ever.

From far within him, he heard a creaking of rusty portals, and through them came a stern tap-tap tap, like hammering in the night when one cannot sleep. "Have you been good form today?" was their eternal question.

"I'm in at your six," yelled Theo. He rushed into the barn. "We need to set up a casualty collection point," he said.

T-Man was still assaulting the village, fanatic in its annihilation. We had driven them beyond the poppy house, Viking and Kilo Three holding the stone wall.

Kilo Two was gone. Only the old man remained. The young boy was most likely black-tagged. He wouldn't make it.

"I'm sending the Elder with Kilo One to the cane near the stony reeds. Support Red," said Theo. "That's the fiercest fighting right now."

I suppose that's what made Theo, Theo. He was quick to stay with the hot hand, so to speak. His observation skill, especially in combat, was what kept us alive.

"Kelly, snap to and support Red at the Elder's hut. Shit is hot up there, and he needs another rifle."

"Roger that," I said as I readied myself.

"Red, Kelly is inbound from your six. Over." Theo released the PTT and nodded. "You ready, boy?" he asked.

I nodded.

"Red, Kelly is bounding."

Theo nodded and then yelled, "Go!"

Under covering fire, I sprinted from the barn, breathing steadily, rounds whizzing by my head. I stopped at the rear of the poppy house, my back against the wall. The gunfire increased. To my right, I could see the friendlies firing, heads bobbing, using the reeds as camouflage. Even though they didn't see me, I feared T-Man might as I revealed myself.

"Chief," I yelled. "Give me signals. I need to get over to you." I ducked as I took more fire.

Hand signals were the only way Chief would not compromise his position. He hid well, blending with the roof and the moon. He was like a ghost, methodically picking and smoking his targets.

He held his hand to his eye, forming a monocular: Lookout.

Holding his arm straight out, he showed me his palm: Stop.

I was anxious, waiting for him as the rapidity and fury of small arms fire picked up. It seemed angry, spiteful, and insulting. We were strangers in their strange land. We were invaders, at least in their eyes.