Chapter 18

Donnelly knew his fate was sealed when M himself stepped through the front door. The Irishman shoved Sarah aside and attempted to hobble away. To no avail. Ben caught up with him in a flash and punched him, hard. The wounded man toppled to the ground.

Joe arched an eyebrow. "Was that really necessary?"

Ben straightened his shirt. "No, but I really wanted to do it."

Constables finished the job, apprehending Donnelly and dragging him out of the house. Sarah fawned over Kitty, awkwardly dressed in ill-fitting workman's clothes, while Mrs Jones made sure Mo was unhurt.

Tobias walked up to his boss with his hat in his hands. "Beg pardon, sir, but... what the hell have you done?"

Superintendent Melville surveyed the scattered fallout of his incursion. "Let us discuss in private, shall we?"

They retreated to Ben's study and locked the door. M reached for an envelope in his breast pocket. Tobias tore it open and perused Rebecca's letter.

Toby dearest,

If you're reading this, it means Leroy is gone and I am... well, if not free, then at least vindicated. The abhorrent pig has pursued me like a madman around the world, ever since I refused his marriage proposal. To fulfil his threat that I would regret it if I turned him down.

In a way, he was right. I regret it. I regret ever meeting him. I regret not seeking help in my hour of need. But, you see... I was the one who always solved everyone's problems. How could I possibly ask anyone to solve my own?

Speaking of which, I've taken Jeremy with me. He clearly hasn't been doing well without me around to solve his problems. Gilbert got to him (more on that later) at his weakest point and used him to draw me out.

What he didn't know was that your Superintendent had got to me first. You know of the Walsall plot, no? I had crossed over to England with those Frenchmen, unaware of their schemes. Got arrested with them, too. When he heard my story, M set me free in exchange for information.

I became a spy.

Now, about Gilbert. The bastard was under Leroy's employ all along. I didn't love him, of course, and he knew I married him just to escape from another man I despised. Eventually, he began talk of immigrating to America, although we were doing well enough in London. Too well, in fact, which is how I discovered his ruse.

I don't know what possessed me. Yet again, instead of asking for help, I absconded in the middle of the night...

The rest of the letter consisted of sentimentalities that Tobias had no patience for. He glared at his boss.

"Did you make my sister assassinate Lloyd?"

"No, she offered."

M crossed his arms and leaned against the mahogany desk.

"Rebecca knew that the law could never stop a man like Lloyd, and she wanted to be rid of him. His secret ledger will help us detain Donnelly and Gilbert King for the theatre bombings, and Lloyd's death is already being played as a robbery gone wrong on London's most dangerous street. This way, no one will ever look for your siblings."

"Where are they now?"

M shrugged. "I don't know. I didn't want to know. Somewhere safe where they can start new lives."

Tobias collapsed in the nearest armchair. "What am I supposed to tell my family?"

"I certainly don't envy you the task, Thackery. If I can support in any way, do let me know. I really wish it wouldn't have come to this."