Chapter 9

Summer, 1894. London.

Kitty's research had narrowed down her list of potential targets to much-anticipated gala nights at gaslit venues only – some theatres had gone electric – which also coincided with nights when Ruth would be on stage. This still left a considerable number of bombing opportunities, so it was just a matter of time before rumours began to ripple through the grapevine.

It irritated the chatterboxes that an orphan débutante from God-knows-where was frequently stepping out at London's biggest gala nights with one of London's most eligible bachelors. As if asking to be seen and slandered. The upper-class matrons who yearned to secure Mr Hawkins for their own charges disregarded Kitty's chaperones, perpetuating a narrative of loose morals and debauchery.

They conveniently forgot, of course, that she had been raised in a parsonage, and acutely remembered that one of her cousins was a runaway, while another one debased herself on music hall stages. A blatant lie, as Ruth had an affinity for Shakespeare tragedies, rather than singing and dancing, but gossip did not concern itself with truth.

This increasingly sordid state of affairs occasioned drastic action from the deputy Thackery patriarch. Isaac showed up at Ezra's house one evening, shortly after a last-minute telegram had announced his visit. Ezra was still away for work. Kezia was preparing to host a charity soirée, whereas Kitty was getting ready for an opera outing with Ben.

Joey greeted his brother in the front hall downstairs, with no small degree of wonder. "Isaac. What are you doing here?"

Isaac had a demented demeanour about him, eyes bulged under thick, furrowed eyebrows. "Where is Kitty?"

"Upstairs, dressing. Why?"

Isaac strode for the staircase, but Joey intercepted him. The preacher's nostrils flared with anger when he couldn't shove past his sailor-sturdy younger brother.

"Move," Isaac demanded.

"No!" Joey pushed him back. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Kitty is not to set foot outside this house tonight, is that clear?"

Joey frowned, opening his mouth to argue, as steps and skirts shuffled down the stairs.

"Isaac, is that you?" Kezia called out. "Oh, dear, you were very quick."

She greeted him with a stilted smile and steered him towards the drawing room.

"Why the urgency? Everything all right at home? Are you on your own?"

The proper etiquette he espoused forced Isaac to be civil.

"Yes, Martha and the children are well," he answered, tersely. "I am not certain I can say the same about you all, however."

"Oh?" Kezia blinked, bewildered.

She sent for tea and sat on the sofa, inviting her guest to join her. Isaac refused.

"Whatever do you mean?" she added. "As you can see, we are all very well. Of course, Ruth is already at the theatre, and Ezra is due home soon. But Joey and myself, fit as a fiddle."

"Word is going round that Kitty is..." Isaac pursed his lips, and his jaw twitched. "Engaging in unbecoming behaviour with Hawkins. Where is she?"

"Oh, nonsense!" Kezia flicked her wrist. "She's just having a bit of fun, as she should, at her age. Tobias and Sarah have been chaperoning her when I couldn't."

"Kezia, this is unacceptable!" Isaac bellowed. "She is your charge, your responsibility. If you can't look after her, then send her back!"

Kezia reddened and glanced briefly at Joey. Isaac only dared to manifest himself like this because Ezra was away. Joey felt bad for his sister-in-law, who had been nothing but kind to him, Ruth, and Kitty.