Chapter 21: History repeats itself

(Goku's POV)

I groaned in delight as I registered myself as being on something fluffy, but a bright streaming light disturbed my relaxation. I turned over to my other side.

"Chi-Chi, turn off the light..." I moaned and shot my arm up at the sky, trying to block the incoming incredibly sharp light. It didn't work, the light bore through my hand and still stung my closed eyes. I sat up straight, annoyed.

"Fine, I will do it myself!" I exclaimed bravely and rubbed my eyes with the back of my hand as I sat up straight.

I froze as I noticed my surroundings. This is not our room... Where am I? I wondered as I stared into the never-ending whiteness...

The sky around me was also very misty; it was as if I were standing between the clouds on top of a high mountain. I reached out and tried to grab the thick mist in my palm. I retracted my arm back to my body, in front of my face and stared at my empty, but damp, hand.

"Where am I?" I asked again, this time out loud; not having any recollection of how I got here. I scurried through my brain for answers, but oddly enough, I didn't have the faintest clue of what I did or where I was before I ended up here.

The last thing I remember was being at the tournament; I had just finished fighting Spopovich. But something was telling me that something happened today. Something important, something major. But I just couldn't figure out what it was...

I hit my clenched fist lightly on the side of my head repeatedly, encouraging my brain to remember. "Work you stupid piece of junk, work..." I chanted.

"Ugh!" I yelled out in frustration when I didn't get anywhere. If only I had my son's memory. Gohan's mind was eidetic... As soon as I thought of my deceased child's name, several images flashed through my mind.

"Son of a..." I breathed. I remember now... Gohan returned to earth today to face off against some threat! And we all teamed up to help him fight an evil army. One moment I was fighting off the Ginuy Force with Vegeta, Trunks and Piccolo, and the next thing I knew, I was with...

Raphael... I recalled and I got goosebumps as I remembered his evil blue and orange eyes and scarred face...

My eyes widened as I recalled what happened. My arms shot instinctively to my neck, rubbing it gently. It was snapped. The feeling of his cold, twig-like fingers curling around my neck lingered still on my flesh and made me flinch.

That was the cause of my death...

I carefully reached to the top of my head and cringed as I felt the all too familiar slick exterior of a halo levitating just above me. At least I got to keep my body like last time. A heavy feeling flooded my stomach and throat. The last image I remember seeing was the shocked, tear-filled brown eyes of Gohan, staring down at me as I fell.

A sad sigh escaped my throat. I wished he had not seen me dying...

Well, I guess I should get a move on. I chose a random direction and kicked random clouds absentmindedly as I headed forward. Maybe I can find King Kai... I stopped in my tracks. Wait a minute. This does not look like the Otherworld I know? Could they have done some redecoration? I concentrated as hard as I could but could not sense anyone's ki - living or dead.

Where am I?

"HALLO?! ANYBODY OUT THERE?!" I bellowed so loudly that it echoed across the barren white wasteland.

Silence.

I picked up the pace, sprinting in the direction I chose earlier, hoping that I would eventually find something other than this bright irritating whiteness that hurt my eyes.