𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟹: 𝙼𝚞𝚜𝚒𝚌 𝚃𝚘 𝚆𝚊𝚝𝚌𝚑 𝙱𝚘𝚢𝚜 𝚃𝚘

Yuna (L/n). . .

In the hours following his second trip to the Red Herring, Dabi dug up a substantial amount of information on the Proficiency quirk-user's mother.

Her quirk was Coordination. It was deemed a low level threat, fit only for simple multi-tasking as opposed to intensive hero work. Her husband's quirk was Speed, a transformation quirk — same as her. Placing 'two' and 'two' together, Dabi could quickly see for himself how genetically, the combination of these two people's quirks would manifest themselves as 'Proficiency,' in their firstborn daughter.

Moving on, Yuna (L/n) and her husband were wed in 1998. Yuna (L/n) was a grade school teacher at the time, and her husband was a member of the HPSC's Regional Public Relations Branch.

The HPSC's Regional  Public Relations branch? It was a familiar title to Dabi, even if it took him a second to place his familiarity. Hawks. That was how he knew, because Hawks was a member of the same branch.

The HPSC Regional Public Relations Branch. . . Hawks. . . As far as Dabi supposed, being in the Regional Public Relations Branch of the HPSC meant pursuing the national interest of Japan sometimes publicly, and other times, not-so publicly, in order to craft the perfect facade to fan out to the general public.

The question was, what did — or perhaps — what didn't Yuna (L/n) know about her husband? Did he plot something and take it with him to the grave?

Anyhow, from here on out Dabi knew the general gist of the story. Yuna and Kazuha (L/n) had a daughter in 1999. They lived happily for 10 years before Ms. (L/n) divorced her husband in 2009. Then, Ms. (L/n)'s solid career as a teacher took an inexplicable turn for the worse.  The two remaining core family members became near impoverished, while Mr. (L/n) continued to live a lavish life working for the HPSC. Mr. (L/n) remarried in 2013, and Ms. (L/n) died in the hospital a couple weeks after a severe work accident in 2015. Their daughter, (Y/n) (L/n) disappeared and cut off all contact with her known associates the year after, and her father died of natural causes last year — all his assets transferred to his late son, Kazutora (L/n).

What a perfect sob backstory. He contemplated.

Dabi tried to continue weaving the tale. . . Tried to think of what these facts confirmed.

He figured a couple things, but wasn't definitively sure.

First, he figured (Y/n) (L/n) would have had a strained relationship with her father, or at the very least, a relationship that wasn't strong enough for her to seek out safe asylum with him upon running away. After all, even if Dabi was wrong, the only way she could remain by his side currently would be if she was six feet under and situated next to her father's decomposed corpse. (He was cremated.)

Second, he figured it was unnatural for a woman pursuing such a steady career path — especially as an already established professional — to become constructively dismissed from her field after years of devoting her life to it. This could not have been a coincidence, and Dabi desperately wanted to know what caused this to happen to Yuna (L/n) beginning in '09 — to which he was positively sure the answer would prove crucial to his investigation into (Y/n) (L/n).

Third and lastly, Dabi suspected that — seeing as (Y/n) cut off all contact with others when she disappeared, that it was highly plausible of her to, under a fake alias, decide to rent out a small property from some unwitting accomplice that year.

This meant that (Y/n) (L/n) had to be a 5 '7'' ish female who'd rented a small property from someone in 2016, which meant there had to be a signed lease — a paper trail. It didn't narrow things down much, as (Y/n) could rent a property from anyone who owned a small property in Yokohama — but it was a much-needed start, and Dabi was glad for it.

All the same, Dabi also knew that the League didn't have the resources to discreetly procure the information he needed on privately held properties rented out in 2016. For the League, it would mean far too many unnecessary phone calls and the like, but for someone like — Hawks, it could be possible.

Guess he'd have to call in a favour.

~

(In some backwater alleyway...)

"Long time no see." Dabi teased, hesitantly lowering the cigarette from the corner of his mouth.

"You saw me last week — and you probably see me on the news every day." Retorted Japan's #2 Pro-Hero. The tall blond man, Hawks, wasn't wearing his hero uniform; his wings tucked away and his signature eye guard missing.

"Time flies fast, then, doesn't it?" Dabi jousted.

"Sure it does. But not as fast as I flew down here when I got your message. Speaking of, care to elaborate on what that might be?"

"Ouch, not even gonna let me play around a bit more before we address the elephant in the room?"

"Do what you will, Dabi, so long as it gets addressed sooner rather than later."

"Fine." Dabi breathed. "Shigaraki's been doubting your loyalty as of late, though I can't blame him for being paranoid when we've gotten nothing from you in a while—"

Hawks interrupted. "What did you expect? I mean, you of all people should know valuable information doesn't come on a consistent basis."

"True, which is why Shigaraki wants information that's been disregarded. Information you at the Hero Public Safety Commission could easily afford to give us without compromising yourself."

"And what would that be?"

"The names of any and all individuals that match this description: Any woman roughly 5'7,'' who signed a lease  in 2016 that would allow her to rent out a small property here, in Yokohama City for the long term. "

". . ." Hawks was — flabbergasted to say the least. He was speechless. What an oddly specific demand from the League. It was unprecedented and spelled out to him one word, that word being  D-A-N-G-E-R. Maybe he was in a bad spot right now, but handing over that sort of information would constitute a huge ethics violation.

"Well, can you do it?" Dabi snapped.

Hawks wished he could know why the League wanted this information, but of course, he knew that he was not in a position where he could ask Dabi that without inviting further suspicions.

"I'll see what I can do." He nodded at Dabi. "I'm gonna head out now. I'll let you know about the names by the end of this week." Hawks then left, presumably moving to another alley before throwing off his disguise and taking to the skies.

By day-end, both Dabi and Hawk's stomachs were churning with unease. Dabi disliked how much he was going to have to depend on Hawks in this situation, even if the bird-like hero was unaware of that at this time.

Hawks disliked how brashly Dabi made such a demand of him — and obviously, Hawks disliked the demand in and of itself. Alas, with limited options Hawks absent-mindedly flew to the HPSC building, making his routine landing upon the balcony on the 31st floor. It was his balcony, and it was the top floor. 

Having made it home after a long day, Hawks took a quick shower before alleviating some of his soreness from the finished day's work by lying in bed. In bed he thought of how he would get those names for Dabi, and more importantly he thought that whoever the woman he was being manipulated to find was, he needed to protect her from getting involved with or incapacitated by the League.

Hawks drifted to sleep. . . And so did Dabi. . .  And so did (Y/n). They were all completely oblivious as to how their fates would soon be tied together.

To be continued. . .