Chapter 16

"The wedding preparations have officially begun for the crown prince! How I love weddings!" Chris clapped excitedly but that fell on deaf ears as Diana's reflection seemed to stare into her soul. Her hazel eyes dimmed as she was continued to be dragged into a torturous bottomless pit of her mind as she went over the same encounter of last night with Harold.

To say his request,more like order jumbled her life outside down was an understatement of the century. She herself didn't know why she felt so conflicted. Of course,the Diana she knew would jump at the opportunity of wielding such power because it would be  a great stepping stone to her revenge but why did that feel so... hollow? Empty? Ultimately wrong?

Her accepting or doing what Harold meant leaving Adrian, that's where her worries were centred.

"My lady? Are you okay?!" Chris screeched loud enough for Diana to snap out of her reverie and politely nod. She breathed deep and smiled at Chris.

"Get me my sword and prepare the the room for sword practise"she said getting up from her dressing chair and walked to her closet in preparation for sword practise. If she was to think on her feet and clear the cobwebs in her mind,she needed to move,to do something to cast the ghosts away.

When she came out dressed in her white attire,the tables were cleared and the balcony door opened, curtains drawn and the sunlight brightening up the room.

Diana took her sword,her fingers wrapping nicely along its hilt. She took it and held it up to the light,inspecting it. The sight of her sword never failed to soothe her. The sadistic memories and the invisible blood it held brought a bit of happiness to her soul. Then she swiped viciously through the air to test mobility and adjust to the weight of the sword.

"May I join you?" A familiar voice said and she smiled unconsciously before turning around to see Adrian already dressed for the occasion. His sword ready at his side. Her eyes were glued to the sword because she knew she'd seen it before she just didn't remember where? Interesting,she mused irate at this sudden improvement.

"Of course,if you can handle it"Diana shrugged and Adrian smirked and stepped forward.

After showing the normal dueling formalities,the fight commenced.

Diana was one to attack first,she launched an attack which Adrian easily dodged before pushing her leisurely on the shoulder sending Diana tumbling almost falling.

"You're distracted" he said with a frown as he swiped his sword,readying for attack. Diana got up and gave him a chilling smile.

"Really?" She cracked her neck,"well I'm just getting started"she stated before charging forth once more but surprisingly this time he didn't deflect or even try to but instead he sidestepped for the tip of the sword before abruptly and swiftly removing it from her hand before twirling her and engulfing her in a warm embrace.

"You're not okay,something is bothering you"he whispered to her and a shiver ran up her spine.

"Why...why do you say that?"her voice cracked and she felt his hold on her tighten as his hands protectively went around her back.

After what felt like an eternity,he released her and stuck one of her midnight locks behind her ears,"come with me"she raised her eyebrows in question but he simply shook his head with a smile and led her by her hand out of the castle.

"Adrian where are you taking me?" She chuckled as he led her to the stables and ordered the release of storm.

"Now it would be a surprise if I told you now would it?" He wriggled his eyebrows playfully at her before taking her by the waist and helping her climb atop Storm before he himself heaved himself up.