Chapter 8

As Diana walked down the palace gates,she immediately wished she was in her riding suit. All she was in now was a gown which would most certainly reveal her identity as a noble should she step out of that palace. She curved a path along the way and walked to where she knew were the servant quarters.

"Your Highness!" A girl called as she bowed to her before raising her face to let Diana see her alarmed expression. " You cannot come in your highness,this humble place is undeserving of your grace"she quickly said but Diana simply smiled.

"I need you to do a favour for me"she extracted her black pouch and extracted royal coins from there. The girl's eyes widened, royal coins were rare and only used by affluent people in society. Their value was worth more than the normal gold coin used all over.

"Please find me a riding suit,I need to change"fortunately,the girl didn't dare question but simply nodded before disappearing behind the wooden door. Diana sighed in content as she sat down on a nearby bench and waited till a few minutes later the girl arrived.

She led Diana inside and allowed her to change. The servant quarters were more like dorms. With tiny neat rooms with curtains drawn over the wooden dividers. The polished wooden floors and smooth scent of the baking happening above in a higher floor of the palace have it a homely feel. Diana felt she would be visiting here sooner than she would like.

After she finished wearing her dark velvet suit with a jacket,she thanked the maid. " What is your name?" She furthermore asked.

The girl's eyes widened,no noble had ever asked that. She was always "you girl!" To other people of the noble class.

"Christina your majesty but you can call me Chris"she bowed slightly and Diana nodded thoughtfully.

"Christina....Chris"she echoed getting the name into her head. " Come at my chambers before bedtime"she said and then left leaving the maid staring in disbelief and shock.

Diana breathed the chilly evening air as she walked down the cobbled streets of the Imperial Kingdom. Lanterns illuminated the streets casting an eerie orange glow. Citizens walked to and fro from work to their apartments and cottages. Some just lounged in the streets looking for prey to pounce on. Courtesans swindled in the roads looking for business for the night.

Diana didn't know where she was going till she found herself at Aia's door. The older woman frowned as she opened the door. Her frown reduced into a light smile as she invited her in. The room was brightly lit and comfortable looking as always.

She didn't even bother sitting around. It was too urgent. She felt something coming. A bigger storm than she had ever experienced. She didn't like that feeling. "Why did you flee court and the royal palace?" She blurted without thinking and was looking to rectify her mistake when she spoke.

"Consort Song is dead"she said before taking a seat.

"She doesn't have to be!" Diana protested as she towered over Aia. Right now she needed as many people in her corner as possible. Starting with Aia.

"Do you think I left willingly? Consort Song is dead as much as Queen Elizabeth is dead and now remains a simple woman. Life at court is no small feat"she sighed,seemingly tired and defeated.

"What actually happened?" Diana asked. More quietly now.

"Unlike Lusia and Elizabeth,Mary didn't like me. Hated me to the core to be precise"she began. " Harold was originally to be married to me but Mary's father pushed and forced his way into having his daughter be the official wife instead. It was no secret that Harold loved me but for the sake of a political marriage with power for his father,he agreed. Painfully,relegated me to nothing but a consort of the first rank.