Chapter 10

"You know" Lucas began the minute she arrived two hours before the royal banquet. " When I said go for a ride,I didn't literally mean get into trouble! What if you had died out there? I mean I didn't know Diadera would be so aggressive because of Gabriella"he spoke at once and Diana chuckled as she grabbed a bowl on the table full of grapes.

"Well I'm fine,Jin helped me out"she replied tossing a grape in her mouth.

"Jin?" Lucas raised an amused eyebrow as he playfully wriggled his eyebrows. " And who may that be,might I ask?".

"Seokjin. He helped me out when I got in that predicament with the Diadera contingent"she explained to her already imaginative brother.

"He isn't the same handsome mysterious stranger who happened to save you the other day on the street? Eh?" He was now close to her,merely seating on the couch opposite her.

"How come your so called spies never come to the rescue?" She twisted the conversation and Lucas coughed playfully.

"Let's practise independence"he said and Diana rolled her eyes.

                                   #

Diana averted her gaze when immediately she met the crown prince's. She was very angry to be indulging him as of late,incase it may have slipped his attention. She turned around and walked away immediately she noticed the crown prince getting off his seat and walking in her direction.

Her royal red robe flowed on the marble floors as she walked briskly out of the hall and into the corridors where she slowed her pace. She knew that Sebastian was hot in pursuit so walking all the way to her room was only delaying the inevitable. The crown was definitely going to say his piece so she turned on her heel and greeted him with a bow and a curt nod of her head and he did the same.

"What seems to be the matter your Highness?" She inwardly smirked as she could see him frown over her stiffness and reserved coldness.

He gently grabbed her hands. "I want you to know that the engagement wasn't my decision. Felix talked mother into it"he hissed and she retracted her hands from his touch and a pained look surfaced on his features.

"You don't need to explain yourself to me in any way your majesty"she says coldly. " Whether who's decision it was to get you a crown princess, is of no significance to me, frankly,I do not care"she smoothed her robe leisurely"now if you'll excuse me"she began to walk but he seized her by her hands and she glared at him. " You will kindly remove your hand from me"and he did and she immediately sauntered past,unaware of Adrian hidden behind a pillar watching the entire exchange. An idea formed.

Inside the hall it was as bustling as ever and Diana breathed as she flicked her black shining curls back,flaunting her diamond hairpins in the process. A soft clank sounded and they all looked to the king. It was time.

King Harold stood up,"good people of the land"he projected his voice"it has now come for the crown prince,future king of our kingdom to choose his queen—"

"If I may be so bold as to interrupt you father"Adrian disturbed him and the entire court murmured amongst themselves. It was very uncommon for the king to be disturbed lest of all at such gatherings.

"Adrian..."his father drawled pensively but the prince didn't flinch.

"I do apologize profusely for the disruption father,under no circumstances is it disrespectful behaviour towards you nor our guests but simply an idiotic impulse. Something I wish to add"he bowed respectfully and did not get up till his father spoke.

"What may that be?" He cocked a curious eyebrow at his son who looked so much like a woman he once knew. He absolutely refused to believe that Mary gave birth to him but was quiet nonetheless.

"As my brother is going to announce his crown princess,I wish to ask Princess Diana of the House of Winter to be my princess consort"another gasp sounded from the nobles as they both looked to her,some murmuring against themselves.

Diana was just as taken aback,the prince never showed an interest in her and only exchanged few cordial words with each other and now this?

"Princess,come forward"the king beckoned and she walked forward. Amongst the aisle of gossiping nobles directly to the steps leading up the throne where Adrian stood at the base of them. She stopped to face him.

"Do you accept his request?" The king's voice boomed throughout the Grand Hall and a dramatic silence ensured as all looked to her for her answer.

"I accept"she locked gazes with the prince asking for her hand. She could see the relief wash over his crystal blue eyes. His midnight hair was ruffled a little bit over his forehead making him more.... handsome to put it mildly.

The king beamed,Diana knew why,this was fortifying alliances like no other.

"And now over to you son"he beckoned to a fuming Sebastian who was trying to keep his emotions in check.

"By royal decree of prince Sebastian of the House of Wales,I hereby take Milady D'Angelica as my crown princess"the court cordially clapped as a beaming Angelica locked hands with Sebastian and the court clapped again.

Diana walked to Adrian and out of pure instinct, slipped her arms around his.

Adrian couldn't be more shocked but at the moment she didn't care. Since their table was deserted,with the party carrying on in full swing,she decided to talk to him.

"What did you do? Why did you choose me?" She asked in a hushed whisper as she leaned closer to him while nervously smiling at passing nobles who congratulated them.

"I can't explain that,not as of yet"he replied and she looked at him in disbelief. She was about to talk when she saw Angelica and Sebastian appear before them.

"Oh well look what we've got,who ever knew we'd be sisters in law one day?" She said in mock pleasantry and Diana tightened her grip on Adrian who smiled at the gesture,his heart warming his entire chest.

"Certainly not me"she mumbled underneath her breath,the other two didn't hear but Adrian certainly did.

The latter leaned in closer to her ear,his breath tickling her spine. " Well my dear wife,you have the most amusing remarks"he whispered sending jolts of electricity up her spine and she instantly found herself smirking.

"Then it's your duty to protect me so they don't come out"she whispered back and they both chuckled leaving a confused and angry Sebastian to walk away.  Angelica smiled nervously at them before strolling away.

"I'm sorry to involve you in all of this"Adrian says later in the night later on the cool serene balcony. The party was still going on inside, the noble's laughter and clink of the goblets and glasses rang into the night.

"Well now if you can't explain, what's the use?" Diana raised an elegant eyebrow at him.

"Isn't it clear?" Diana turned to see frustration etched on his well chiselled handsome features.

"What is?" She asked in a nonchalant tone. She knew what was coming but she didn't want to seem hopeful of what was to come.

"That I like you"he shook his head. " No,I love you, every little thing you say or do enthralls me,making me fall deeper in your spell. I pulled the stunt today because I finally decided to act"he breathed. " There you have it Diana I love you".

To be taken aback would be an understatement,she was expecting this but such news would be...more than just a shock. " Your highness—"she tried to say but he bowed.

"I wish you a good night's rest princess"and then he pivoted on his heel and left. He was no longer interested in the party nor company of any person at the moment so he went straight to his chambers,closed the door and leaned on it as he took a deep breath. His eyes snapped open as he sensed a presence in his room.