Chapter 1

"Mother,what happened to the monster?" Little Diana asked Queen Elizabeth who sat near her bed with a book in hand. The older woman smiled and patted her head affectionately.

"It still lives to this day"Diana shuddered.

"Where?"she asked pulling the covers up to cover her chest and her eyes darted around the room as if afraid that the monster would suddenly jump and claw at her.

Queen Elizabeth smiled and was about to open her mouth when a loud thud resonated throughout the chamber and her mother frowned. A minute later,her father King Titus came rushing in.

He bolted the door and took a deep breath. Her mother flew to him. " Titus,what is the matter?"her voice made Diana panick too.

"The is a war going outside,Lord Harold as arrived and he's turned against us,you must leave urgently"he was referring to the secret entrance which snaked underneath the palace.

Queen Elizabeth shook her head,her snow white hair moving with the turbulence. "And what about you? Are you coming with us?" She asked already picking Diana up and packing the little she could into a small satchel.

"No I need to fend off the attackers,go take Rose and Azania with you, they'll keep you safe. There's a boat waiting for you south. Board it and go to Lowlands"he said already unsheathing his sword as the noise outside the chamber grew.

"But—"her mother protested but was cut off by her father.

"Go"the door send another thud and they both knew what had to be done. The Queen embraced Tirus one time and so did a teary Diana who couldn't stop asking questions. Her mother swept her up in her arms and with the satchel on the other hand, disappeared out of the room.

Diana had her mother heard that her father was killed by Lord Harold himself and the kingdom embraced a new lineage.

Her father's concubine, Lusia,also died leaving her 6 month year old infant who was now under her mother's care. His name was Lucas. Unlike in some instances,Queen Elizabeth and Queen Lusia got along quite well so when she died,her mother was pained but she knew what she had to do: raise Lucas like her own and that she did.

"Your highness,we have arrived"a servant girl bowed as she opened the carriage door. Diana nodded stiffly,jolting out of her reverie and focused on the task at hand.

She stepped out of the carriage with the assistance of the servant whom she flashed a grateful smile before her face became rigid again. She looked at her target. The palace in front of her was beautiful with soaring parapets and strong fortified stone. The king clearly spent no expense in the banquet for the dignitaries.

Yes, King Harold was hosting a banquet in honour for the dignitaries from across the land and when across the ocean whom he hoped to have a partnership by the end of the visit with.

The only thing he'll have is death,Diana smiled just at the thought of it. She sighed a sigh of fake content and twisted the curls of her raven black hair. Oh well,we just have to wait she was immediately ushered inside and shown her room.

"Dutchess D'winter,here are your chambers"the girl said sliding the double doors open to her temporary residence for now. She strode inside and when satisfied with everything,she nodded and the girl left.

Diana first took a nap in preparation of the banquet to be held at night and when afternoon came,her personal maid helped her prepare.

"Your highness everything is ready,what would you want to change?" Rose asked as she combed Diana's locks.

"Tell me about the princes"she said as she slipped on a bracelet on her right arm.

"Oh,Lord Harold has three sons. Prince Sebastian,Felix and Adrian..."she began explaining with Diana nodding at each detail. Rose was more than just a servant,she was family and she helped Diana in every aspect of her life. That's why she just cannot go away from her.

The royal banquet began with the royal greeting. The royal family was introduced. Diana stood near the other nobles and talked leisurely with them. Trumpets sounded and she looked at the door. The king entered first,flanked in an golden robe and the crown bejeweled with emeralds,rubies, sapphires,you name it. The same crown on her father's head,was now on his.

Her slender fingers tightened around her glass as she smiled whilst the king waved. Next in was his queen,Queen Mary who was earlier aunt Mary to her. The woman treated her nicely and she saw her as a mother figure,little did she know.

"The crown prince,heir to the throne!"the announcer said and she watched with anticipation for who that was. A tall handsome guy with lanky black hair and blue eyes entered waving and smiling what the other nobles called a million shilling smile. Felix and his brother also entered.

By now,most court ladies were swooning and preening themselves for the trio. Diana's aim was not on them but if she had to use them to get to their father,why not?

"Your Highness"she bowed to Sebastian. The latter was standing with his three brothers and chatting when he saw this beautiful lady directly approach him.

"Malady"he returned the cutersy,"do I perhaps know you?"Diana rose with a smile,showcasing her perfect white teeth.

"No your highness I'm Princess Diana"she saw the look in their faces and smiled even more. "I'm here in place of my mother, Duchess D'Winter"she sighed,"she is unwell so I'm here in her place"the relief from their faces was palpable.

"I must say,your beauty is truly not of this land"he breathed,taking in her beauty. " May I have this dance?" He held out a hand and she took it.

"If a future king wills it,who am I to say no?"they were whisked to the dance floor where they danced along other couples.

By the end of the dance,they were both breathing heavily with contentment on the faces. They bowed to each other one more time. " Malady you are a true beauty and an even exceptional dancer. I hope to see you again before the night is over"he kissed her hand before disappearing into the crowd.

Without even being told where to go,she pivoted on her heel and exited the ball room. Servants bustled all around the palace,each carrying a plate or the other. Diana lifted her head high to show the purpose in her step. She immediately swung back and entered a room.

Princess Kara's chamber was more like her own,with the princess at her sixteenth birthday she was already considered a grown-up so therefore her sheets were neat and pure white.

Diana's heels clattered as she went inside the bathroom. She retrieved the vial from her pocket and her eyes interrogated the tub in front of her. She swung the vial playfully in her palm.

She tilted her head and smiled,"how should I put it? Ah yes!"she exclaimed happily before applying the colour less liquid all over the tub. She brushed her palms and got out without being spotted and returned to the party with a bright smile on her face knowing what would befall the princess once she takes a bath.

Diana thought of her as collateral damage and nothing more.

In a war,there are casualties.

NB: The tri kingdom treaty is a peace treaty signed decades ago by kings of three kingdoms. The imperial Kingdom,Diadera and Cheng. These kings signed this treaty for partnership purposes and of course peace.