Chapter 16

"I've just never seen her so sad." I turn to Ginny. She's not actually talking to me. She's more talking to Marcus and I just happen to be there because I'm always with him. Marcus looks at her. "She'll be okay, she's a big girl." "I just don't want this to ruin Christmas." I let out a chuckle and she looks at me. "What, Cass?" "Sorry, you just sound like a Hallmark holiday movie."  She looks at me offended. "I like Hallmark holiday movies." Marcus chuckles. "Yeah, okay, Tiny Tim." She  rolls her eyes and he smiles. "You are a cute Tiny Tim." He puts on a high pitched voice. 

"I just don't want this to ruin Christmas." She laughs. "Have you talked to her?" She sighs. "Yeah, I've tried. She just says, "It's fine," in a way that indicates it clearly isn't fine, it never was fine, and it will probably never be fine again." Marcus looks at her pointedly and she sighs. "I'll keep trying." "You should. For Christmas." She smacks him. "What do you have against Christmas?" "Oh, the day that celebrates consumerism and the heavy financial foot on the necks of the lower and middle class? Nothing. I love it." I roll my eyes. So dramatic. Stacy and Jackie walk up to us grabbing Ginny's hands. '

"We're borrowing her." "She's needed." Ginny's eyes widen. "Hello. Hi. Okay." She picks up her bag walking away with them. Marcus chuckles. "We have a no-return policy, so..." He turns to me. "So, how are you doing?" I raise my eyebrows. "I'm fine. Why?" He shrugs. "I just feel like we don't talk as much anymore." "Yeah, cause you're always with your girlfriend." He looks down embarrassed and I chuckle. "I'm just joking, pretty boy. I'm glad you found yourself someone else who can tolerate you." He whacks me. "You love me." I shrug. "Debatable." 

I get up. "I'm gonna go. See you later." He nods. "See you, asshole." I flip him off walking away. Later on, I have my shift at Blue Farm. A few of Ginny's friends sit down at a table and she goes to sit with them but she doesn't seem to be taking orders so I go do it. Abby is one of them. We haven't talked much recently. The first thing I hear is Max complaining which is nothing unusual. "Also I hate Christmas, I hate love, and everything is shit." I raise my eyebrows. "I was gonna ask if I could take your orders but maybe I'll come back." Samantha chuckles completely ignoring me. 

"Hunter, do you remember when we watched The Grinch  in the seventh grade and you cried?" I have no idea why she would bring that up. Hunter looks down. "His heart grew." "Men can cry, Samantha. Grow up." She looks at Max. "I know. I like reducing a man to tears. I like the power." I snort quietly. Ginny stands up. "Okay, break over. Love you, mean it." "Hate you, kidding," Max and Abby reply. Hunter gives her a wave. "Bye." Samantha clears her throat. "Um, bathroom. Hate you. Whatever." 

She walks away and I look at them awkwardly. "So, um... Do you guys know what you want, or should I come back?" Max looks at me. "Come back." I nod and walk away. Soon comes the time of the Winter Carnival. Georgia goes and stands on stage. "Is everyone enjoying themselves?" We all cheer loudly. "Wellsbury has some of the most generous and giving folks I've ever met. And that's apparent today. As a thank you for your generosity, I brought a surprise guest all the way from the North Pole. It's Santa Claus!" 

Paul walks out waving as we cheer. "Ho, ho, ho! Hey! I have taken a break from making toys to come help your mayor. Do you like that guy?" We all clap and cheer. He chuckles. "Ho, ho, ho, very good! Well, if you have any wishes for Wellsbury, please come say hi to me, and I will do my best to pass it on to your mayor Rudolph-- Oops. Mayor Randolph." That was super lame but it was lame in the way that I can't help but laugh. "Happy Holidays!" I sit with Marcus and Austin while the two of them make a gingerbread house. 

Ginny walks up and sits beside Austin. He turns to her. "Do you like my gingerbread house?" "Yeah, it's really cool." "The icing looks like real snow." She touches something. "What's this?" "It's a zombie Marcus made. He said that our gingerbread house exists in a post-apocalyptic world." She looks at Marcus. "I see. Can I add a snowman?" Austin shrugs. "Yeah, put it next to the zombie." Marcus looks at them. "All right, I'm gonna take off." "What? Why?" I also look at him confused. "I'll come see you before I leave for Vermont. All right?" 

She stands up and he kisses her cheek. He turns to Austin. "Bye, Austin." He turns to me. "Bye, Andie." I wave. "Bye." Max walks up and jumps at him causing him to flinch. She sits beside me. "He must really love you. This is so not his thing." "Christmas?" "People." "Ah." "Max, do you see my gingerbread house?" She turns her attention to Austin. "Ugh, like a beacon in the dark, my friend." They wiggle their fingertips together and I chuckle. Because Marcus is gone, I hangout with Ginny and Max for the remaining time. 

We go to the consent kissing booth where Bracia is handing out consent cards. Ginny smiles. "Hey, how's it going?" "Oh, consent is sexy." Max nods. "It so is. I'm a big fan." Bryon walks past us. "Hey, Ginny. Max. Cassie. Bracia." I smile at him and Ginny turns back to Bracia. "The hat?" "What?" "Coward." "Oh my God." We turn to Max. "I will be right back." She runs off and I roll my eyes. She's so energetic. She runs up to Silver. "Silver. Hey." "Max, hi." "Do you mind if we switch places? Because Sophie's next in line." "Um, yeah, sure." "Thank you so much. You are amazing." 

I shake my head. "Maxxie, that's not a good idea." She runs off. I lean on Ginny. "That's not gonna end well, is it?" She shakes her head. "Not at all." "We're gonna have to pick up the pieces?" "100%." When  Max comes out, she is in fact distraught  and I take her home. The next day is Christmas Eve. Joe and I don't actually do much for Christmas but we are going to his parents house in California for New Years. His sister Sasha is gonna be there. I love Sasha. 

It's evening and I'm sitting home alone watching Christmas movies. Joe is still at Blue Farm but that doesn't bother me too much. He finds Christmas holidays as hard as I do. My mom died 3 months before Christmas last year.  Joe comes home at like 10 o'clock at night and he finds me still sitting on the couch. He sits beside me and slumps down. "What are you watching?" "I have no idea. I've been sitting here for like 4 hours just watching whatever's on." He nods. "Sorry, I'm late." I shrug. "It's not Christmas yet." I grab him some ice-cream and we watch movies until it is Christmas.