Chapter 9

I run into the hospital. I'm in a frantic mood. How could he? I know it probably wasn't on purpose but if it was, I don't I can handle that. I find Ellen in the waiting room and she opens her arms. I hug her tight. "Please tell me he's gonna be ok?" She pats my back softly. "He's gonna be ok, sweetie. He wants to see you." She wipes away the tears I didn't even realize I let out.

She tells me he's got a severe concussion so I have to be careful. I nod. I wasn't gonna yell at him anyway. It's not his fault. Sure he shouldn't have been on the bike but who would have anticipated that would happen?

I walk into the room and Marc smiles. Ellen leaves and closes the door softly behind her. Marcus moves over and I lie beside him on the hospital bed. "I'm sorry." I look over at him. "For what?" He sighs. "I shouldn't have gotten on the bike but I just needed to get away because of Ginny." I look at him confused and he tells me what happened before he got on the bike.

When he's finished I look at him in absolute shock but I'm also mad that Ginny would be that mean. Sure you have a right to reject someone but did she have to be so horrible about it? I look back at Marcus and he has tears in his eyes. "No, she does not deserve your tears, pretty boy. She should not get to use you as her punching bag." I grab tissues on the desk beside me and wipe his tears.

"Hey, look, I know you didn't get the girl that you wanted, but you still have me. And I'm the only girl you need." He chuckles softly. "You know I love you right?" I smile. "And I love you more." After Marcus is taken home, I go to school. I'm not really sure how I'm gonna focus knowing he's at home sitting pathetically on his own.

After school I'm at work and we're restocking cutlery and Joe is rambling on. I'm not really listening but it's something about Twilight Zone and pens. When he realizes neither of us is listening he sighs. "Ok, I know what's wrong with Sandra, but what's up with you Ginny?"

She tries to deny it but finally she admits what's wrong. She likes Marcus. I roll my eyes. Look at them both finally realizing their feelings. She asks for advice and even though Joe's a bit useless at the beginning, he finally tells her to just be honest.

He goes back into the kitchen and Georgia walks in telling Ginny to go get her stuff. Joe comes out and I take that as my cue cause I've always picked up a bit of a vibe between them. Ginny is standing there and I almost walk straight back out. "Have you talked to him?" "Yeah, he told me everything." She sighs. "You must hate me." I sigh as well.

"He told you he loved you, you called him a joke, a loser, incapable of feeling things. Now all of a sudden you like him back? You hurt my best friend's feelings and I don't think I can like someone who does that." She nods and grabs her bags. Before she leaves she turns around and looks at me. "I'm sorry." I shake my head. "I'm not the one who you should say that to." 

She leaves and I sit on the floor. Joe comes in and he's got a large carton of ice cream  in his hands and two spoons. I grab one of the spoons and open the carton. He looks at me. "Haven't done this in a while." I nod. "How have you been?" I sigh. "You know the rude English teacher from school." He nods. "Dad lied to him and said that I was living with him when mum went to college which is why he became a mechanic not a writer." 

Joe gapes in shock. "I know right." We spend the rest of the evening gossiping and eating ice cream. I missed doing this. I especially miss when we had a third member. Sometimes I miss my mum so much I can barely breathe. 

The next morning, it's time for my next therapy session. I walk into his office and Dr Stan is waiting for me. "Hello, Cassie." "Hi, Dr Stan, boy do I have a lot to tell you?" He looks at me surprised but I just carry on. "My best friend almost died this week which is really annoying of him. That made me feel pretty scared cause I don't think I can afford to lose anyone else close to me in my life." He nods and I continue.

"I found out that my dad lied to one of my teachers saying that I stayed with him while mum was in college which is such a lie cause I literally thought Joe was my dad for the first 5 years of my life." I rant on and on and Dr Stan puts in a few words when appropriate. I think I'm starting to trust him but don't tell him I said that. He'd have a field day. When we're finished he smiles. 

"That's the most you've spoken in a year." I chuckle. "Thanks for listening." "It's my job." I shrug. "Thanks anyways." I grab my stuff and go to Marcus's house. Ellen sees me. "He's upstairs. Go on up." I smile and go to his room before opening the door. "What if I was naked?" I shrug. "I'd laugh at how small it is." I lie down beside him.

Suddenly there's a knock and we both look up to see Ginny. Immediately, I stand up. "I'm gonna see Max." I don't wait for an answer and I walk out and knock on Max's door. Norah opens the door. "Hey Cassie, maybe you can help us." She opens the door wider and Max is sitting on the ground crying. I sit beside her. "Hey, pretty girl. What's up?" She sniffles. "Sophie broke up with me." I gasp. "She must be crazy breaking up with you." 

"You think so?" I nod. "I know so." "Then I should call her and tell her that." My eyes widen. "I do not support that." She stands up and tries to grab her phone. I fight with her but this bitch is freakishingly strong. Abby says something about getting something. I'm not really listening because I'm trying to hold onto Max.

Then she bites me and I squeal and let go. What the fuck?! Norah chuckles and moves over on the seat offering me an oreo. I sigh and sit beside her taking the oreo. This is not my bullshit to fix. She calls Sophie and Norah and I watch. Abby walks in with Ginny. "Guys I told you to stop her." "She bit me," I defend myself. Norah just shrugs.

Abby fights her and finally gets the phone out of Max's hand. I take that as my cue to leave and I go back to Marcus's room. He's sitting obviously alone looking lost. We make some snacks and he tells me about how Abby found him and Ginny. Then we watch a movie.