Chapter 3, The Confrontation

"Lady Danbury please explain what do you mean by it" Violet asked "She is trying say is that I and lady Danbury witnessed Lord Bridgerton and my sister 's moment in the parlor the other day and in the woods to." Violet could not still understand what was going on so see asked "Miss Edwina I ask your pardon can you be more specific why cancelled wedding and what is this all about" Mary also said "Yes, Edwina makes yourself clear." But before Edwina could reply Kate said Bon to which Edwina just gave her a sign to stop to which Kate could only tremble and let her tears fall, Anthony was no better he was feeling defeated not because he figured out what was going on but because of the condition Kate was in. He doesn't know if Edwina would blame them or she was accusing Kate about this but he knew or felt the to run Kate and assure her but he could not do it as he knew she would reject him.

"After my grandparents left Lady Danbury's house, I saw Didi running after lord Bridgerton and Lady Bridgerton so I followed her when they went to the parlor to talk, I thought it would be better to let them talk and if needed I would interfere. But I never realized they would have such truthful conversation, I never realized they had such intimacy between them nor did I realized that I never truly knew the both of them " Edwina had tears in her eyes and Lady Danbury continued "Miss Edwina didn't also realized I was beside her the whole time and before she could do something impulsive I took her to my bedchamber so we could talk she told how disappointed she was on them how betrayed she was feeling I let her talk to me till she asked what she should " Lady Danbury paused and looked at others who were shocked confused and didn't know what to say when her eyes landed on Kate whose head was low and had was traits of guilt and tears on her face before she continued "So after sometime when she calmed down I asked her if Miss Sharma has ever done something that could hurt her excepted hiding certain things from her so that she was not hurt." "After hearing that question from Lady Danbury only one thing came to mind no" Edwina looked at Kate and went towards her and lifted her face using her hands so they look at each other and wiped Kate's tears "Didi, I might have felt a little betrayed at that moment but deep down I knew you would never would have done it if you could have controlled it." Kate could only lean into Edwina's palm more and let her tears roll down freely "Bon, I am really sorry."

Lady Danbury came towards Anthony and then continued "I have observing you two from quite some time and also advised Miss Sharma about but I could feel the chemistry the emotions whirling around you two. I might not have known Miss Sharma for long but I understood her how she had fallen love with the man she should not have, how she was living in this guilt, self-blame. Besides I do know Lord Bridgerton for a longer time so I suggested miss Edwina to test miss Sharma one more time so that I could be clear but your feelings, so I could make sure that what is it that is going on within you" she said will patting at Anthony's chest with her cane. "I took her suggestion and told Kate that I loved Lord Bridgerton and want to marry him. she was surprised and could feel her being uneasy and restless the whole night. As soon as she got up get ready to for her morning riding, I left a message to Lady Danbury. We both followed as discretely as possible I didn't know why Lady Danbury suggested to follow her but the moment, I saw Lord Bridgerton there I knew." "After listening to their conversation of Miss Sharma requesting or more like ordering Lord Bridgerton to not break this engagement and him accepting it made it clear for me about his feelings that to make her happy, he would do anything even if it meant to getting married to her sister so that she could accomplish her duties and not have to live under the shadow of guilt." "But that conversation opened eyes to how much Kate has suffered to bring happiness to me and how she was ready to give up on her last hope of being the man she loves to make sure his dignity, honor and my happiness remains, the way looked at each other had so much volume to make me accept the fact that they will do anything if means they protect the other person and feeling betrayal anger all just vanished and only feeling left was I need to help them so that they could reach each other."

Violet wanted to say something Anthony but Daphne stops her. Mary came towards Kate who was crying and took her into her arms because she knew and realized that she was not able to provide sense of security to this daughter of hers as much as she thought she did. Mary felt guilty because she knows that Kate did all of this so that she could make sure they are happy so that did could continue being her family. The moment she started soothing her back Kate started sobbing in her embrace. Violet assured Daphne by patting her hand that held hers and went toward Anthony and took his in her arms and caressed his cheeks with the other for the first time in many years. Anthony just leans more in her and looked in her eyes to see her reaction where he saw that his mother was not disappointed but sad and guilty. Before anybody could get more emotional Lady Danbury told them to think what they want to tell the ton about this. "I suggested breaking this marriage so we will tell them that I accepted the proposal due to excitement now that the reality is striking, I got cold feet because I don't love Lord Bridgerton" Anthony objected and said "No Miss Edwina first of all I am really sorry and ashamed of my deeds, I should have never proposed to you so that I could hide behind my fears. This all my fault so I will be the one to take the responsibility."

Daphne patted her brother's shoulder and said "Brother I understand your point but if you take the blame it is going to negatively affect Miss Edwina and I am sure is has suggested after more consideration and Lady Danbury might be the one who recommended it." Lady Danbury just agreed with Daphne and looked at others who agreed with Edwina's suggestion. Lady Danbury spoke "Let's go this plan as this not just my suggestion but Queen's too. I and Miss Edwina went to her to talk to her about the cancelation of engagement and she does not want her diamond to be rejected but the other way around so just smile and behave in harmony like before."

The Butler declared the arrival of guests they all tidied up themselves and with smiles on their face they started greeting the guest. After sometime when the Queen also arrived who gave a look of agreement Lady Danbury nodded to Edwina. Edwina came in front of the Queen did a courtesy as the greeting and when the Queen nodded to her, she turns towards the ton and on Queens order everybody made attention to Edwina where she declared the cancelation of her engagement, the whole time Daphne held Anthony's hand as a sense of support. The ton started gossiping, questioning and mummering within themselves, but on Queen's orders the ball started.