Chapter 25: Search and Destroy: Part 1

Start from the beginning

Mercury blanched. "Actually, never mind, I'm good." Crap, I forgot he could do that, he cursed. Stupid reality-rift-walking mechs.

Yang snickered, then turned to Jaune and Pyrrha. "So, you two a thing or...?" She trailed off, gesturing to their intertwined hands.

Pyrrha somehow turned redder than her hair, Jaune doing the same as they glanced away from each other.

"Wait, you actually are?" Mercury asked in shock as Sincline's jaw dropped. "When did that happen?" How in Oum's name is that possible?!

"Last night, after the dance," Jaune explained. "For some reason, after Pyrrha and I went onto the balcony, a note hit me right in the eye telling me to ask her out."

"He noticed that, and not the fireworks we literally spelled out above their heads and the neon sign we installed?" Mercury muttered, Sincline shaking his head in disbelief. There's no way that's possible. No one is THAT dense... right?

"What was that?" Pyrrha asked, turning to face them as her emerald eyes narrowed suspiciously.

Crap, they heard us! Both boys thought. "Nothing!" they shouted simultaneously, both trying to hide their fear behind a grin... which didn't work.

Ruby's eyes narrowed. "You're hiding something." She looked at Sincline expectantly and, after a slight narrowing of her eyes, he cracked.

"Okay, but it was Mercury's idea!" he yelped, ducking behind said assassin and peeking over his shoulder.

"No, it was yours!" Mercury tried to hide behind Sincline, but the mech-turned-human warped behind Ruby... who promptly grabbed him by the ear.

"Ow!"

"You'd better tell me, mister," she threatened, her silver eyes flashing as she looked at him expectantly. The message was clear: fess up or else.

"Okay... MercuryandIthoughtJaunewouldneveraskPyrrhaoutonhisownsohesetupanoteandaneonsignwhileIriggedoneofmyshipswithfireworksandstationeditabovethebalconyincasetheyshowedup!" Sincline blurted, hoping that she'd let go since his ear was really starting to hurt.

Ruby blinked. "Huh. You two really went all out, didn't you?" she asked, releasing her grip on his ear, much to his relief.

"You understood that?" Weiss asked in disbelief, staring at Ruby. Now that she thought about it, she really shouldn't have been surprised, given how often Ruby talked in a similar fashion.

Ruby shrugged. "I speak fluent bibble-babble."

Sincline tilted his head. "Is that an actual language?"

"No, but this is," Ruby said, pecking him on the cheek and catching the entire group off guard with the unexpected gesture.

"...I like this language."

"Wow, who knew you could be such a flirt," Yang said, surprised.

"My dear sister, Yang," Ruby said indignantly, placing a hand on her chest. "Did you really think I didn't pick up a thing or two from you?"

Yang's eyes widened in shock, and she cursed, Mercury quickly covering Ruby's ears with his hands. "Don't ruin the innocence!"

Everyone stared at him.

"It's for the readers," Mercury reasoned, stepping back. "Either way, good luck on the mission. I'm gonna be stuck here with them." He jerked a thumb at Team JNPR. "I'm not sure if they're better or worse than my team." As long as they don't start spouting any hero gibberish or retelling their origin stories, we'll get along just fine.