86

"Dara," Granny Dilcie said, "I want you to go home with Estill. Don't worry about her son. Dougal will not give you any problems. It has been arranged. This mountain will never be more than it is now. That has been arranged, too.

"You will look after Estill and keep the Book safe. Do not let it fall in the wrong hands."

Granny Dilcie placed her hands on the sides of Dara's temple. Dara's eyes rolled back in her head. Then, the girl appeared herself again.

"You know what to do," Granny said.

"Yes, ma'am," Dara said.

Dara took Estill by the hand and led her away.

"What did you do, Granny?" Hadley asked.

"Do not worry," Granny said. "The Ancients will see that nothing happens to the child."

"But Granny," Hadley said.

"Hush, Hadley," Granny said. "There is still more work to do. Help me pick up these rocks."

The rocks Granny alluded to were the ones with the mysterious etchings on them.

"But Granny," Hadley said, "we can't lift these things. They're boulders. They must weigh tons."

"Hush," Granny said. "Concentrate. Believe."

The two women put their hands under a giant rock, and it began to move.

"Toss it against the wall where the waterfall was," Granny said.

Hadley did as she was told, flinging the giant boulder toward the glassy wall of shimmering rock.

The boulder disappeared into the wall. They repeated these actions, throwing all of the boulders into the wall until every one was gone. A rumble began above. Instantly, water began cascading down the falls. It was as if nothing had ever happened.

"Come here," Granny said.

Granny placed the palms of her hands on Hadley's temples.

Hadley fell to her knees. It was as if a giant stream of electricity pierced her brain. Granny removed her palms.

"Hadley," she said, "do you see those mushrooms. Pick them all. They are about the best ones I've ever seen."

"I think so, too," Hadley said, picking the delicate fungi and putting them in a basket that had mysteriously appeared beside her.

"We need to go check on Vesper," Granny Dilcie said.

"Yeah," Hadley said, rising from her knees. "Beanie ought to have a whole mess of persimmons, by now."

The two women walked to the place where Beanie stood. He was smiling from ear to ear.

"Any luck, Bean?" Hadley asked.

"Boy, howdy. You betcha, Hadley," Beanie said. "I ain't never seen so many 'simmons in one place! I got this bucket plumb full."

Hadley looked at Beanie's bucket.

"I'll say," Hadley said. "With that many, I'll be making you persimmon pudding, cookies, and a few cakes."

"I can't wait," Beanie said. "You're the best."

"Come on," said Hadley. "It's getting late."

As they drove back into town, Hadley could not help but think that there was something she should have figured out by now. She dropped Beanie off at his house and took his fruit home with her. She stored the bucket in the bottom of an old refrigerator she kept out in the garage for such things.

She fed Onus and emptied the litter box. She showered and fixed a bite to eat.

She'd lain the two essays near her computer. She did not turn the laptop on. Instead, she picked up both papers and reread them once more.

Strange. Haunting. Anna was right in her description, Hadley thought.