Chapter 36: What Once Was

Start from the beginning

"Hatenna, use Psybeam!"

Hatenna's eyes flashed, releasing the quick Psybeam at Marshadow, who disappeared.

"Protect!"

A shadow expanded behind Hatenna. Marshadow stepped out of it and punched Hatenna, who was protected.

"Kirlia, Disarming Voice!"

Kirlia's wave of pink energy slammed into Marshadow, who looked unfazed by it. It blurred toward Kirlia. Shadows spun around it, covering its fists. It punched Kirlia, knocking her backward.

I found Rotom next to me, looking at me with a glare. It tried to speak, but it was on vibration. I grimaced and unmuted it.

"That was Spectral Thief, Marshadow's signature move. It can steal the increased or decreased power of its target."

I bit back a curse. "Eevee, Mimic and use Spectral Thief!"

Eevee copied Spectral Thief and rushed at Marshadow, who squinted at her cautiously, before dodging the attack by slipping into the shadows. When it reappeared, it was behind Kirlia. It used another Spectral Thief.

"Teleport and Psychic!"

Kirlia teleported above Marshadow to dodge Spectral Thief, then she hit it with a powerful Psychic, knocking it away an inch.

"Eevee! Quick Attack and Spectral Thief!"

Eevee sped at Marshadow with a white aura trailing her, jumping in front of it. The shadows clung to her as she attacked it.

Marshadow hid in her shadow and jumped out of it, charging at Kirlia, who was caught unawares. It struck her with the Shadow Sneak, making her cry out.

I winced. "It pretended to focus on Eevee to strike at Kirlia. It's intelligent." I had to think of a plan. Brute force wasn't going to work. Super-effective attacks or not, Marshadow outclassed us in power.

"Eevee, Swift!"

Eevee flicked her tail, sending a barrage of stars that hit around Marshadow, blinding it with dust.

"Kirlia, Teleport and Draining Kiss!"

Kirlia teleported inside the smoke and kissed Marshadow on the cheek, draining the energy from it. Marshadow retaliated by bashing its head on her, which glinted with a metallic sheen.

"It knows Iron Head," I noted. It even had coverage for its weaknesses. It revealed three moves, and I shuddered to think what its fourth one was. "Hatenna, Psybeam!"

Kirlia held her ground, holding Marshadow with Psychic, which allowed Hatenna to blast it with Psybeam, making it flinch.

"Kirlia, Disarming Voice! Eevee, Spectral Thief!"