Chapter 12: Financing

Start from the beginning

Just a small warning that he was nearby. It was still very hard to keep it small.

"Charlie, you've never hurt anyone badly." Emy tried to assure me, and I knew what she meant by that. As she had.

Still, it wasn't true. I'd certainly come close to killing many times.

Cassidy had killed people.

In this world, what we had done was acceptable. In our world though, none of that was ok. None of it was even forgivable.

'It's not my fault... It's not my fault... It's my fault...' I slipped up with my thoughts, and I think I was broadcasting them.

I say that because Sarah turned to look at me. "Charlie, stop for a little bit. You should just focus on planning out your day, but when we get home. We can talk about it."

Somewhere in my metal core I heard a tiny click. 'Alright...'

I sat, holding Emy, and thinking through how I'd approach the trip into town. Until eventually Sarah's other children slowly woke up and came into the main room of the house.

I sat up upon noticing and looked over to see who was up first, and unfortunately. Sammy was standing in the doorway.

Her eyes were a little wide upon seeing my stare, but she turned away and walked over to the table. Then she rubbed her arm softly, before fixing the bandage. "Good morning, Mom."

"Good Morning Sammy, you woke up the others, right?" Sarah finally finished cleaning all the utensils and other dishes.

"Yeah, they will be a little bit." She rubbed her eyes. "Jane woke up coughing again, but she said she wanted to play with Emy."

"Well, unfortunately Emy will need to go back in town with Charlie soon. So how about you take Jane as well?" Sarah sounded glad to get the youngest some fresh air.

Sammy sighed. "I dunno if I can carry her to town, and I don't want her walking."

"Charlie can carry her, Dear." Sarah glanced over to Sammy, seemingly trying to gauge her feelings toward that.

"I don't know if..." Sammy definitely looked unsure.

"She has good reason not to like knives, Sammy." Sarah took on a sterner tone, before putting those exact utensils away first.

"I know that, but-" Sammy got unsteady from Sarah's gaze, and looked down. "Alright..."

I kept my thoughts private. 'I'm sorry... I'm sorry.'

I set Emy on the floor, so that I would be able to let my face fall into the table again. The thud was louder this time, but not so loud that I was worried I'd wake anyone up.

Regardless of her bad mood, I still needed to help Sammy in the future, if she was gonna be coming with me. I hope I didn't sour that opportunity either, because I was certain she'd grow up to be just as powerful and competent as Sarah.

I meanwhile, didn't particularly have much growth in my future.

'I'll leave in an hour then.' I made my thoughts public for everyone in the room, then immediately made them private again.

After that, I just sat and waited. I didn't feel like talking to anyone, and it was better to let them thing I was asleep. I just kept my eyes closed.

It wasn't much longer than thirty minutes, but it was enough to just close myself off, giving me a chance to shake off all my worst thoughts.

"Charlie..." I heard Jane call out to me, so I sat up a bit to glance at her.

"Are you going to take Emy to town?... Could you carry me too?" The little girl was holding her hands together closely in front of herself.