Bargains

"So.  You wanted to speak to me eh?" she sat on the throne, one hand clutching Gungnir, the other draped casually over the armrest.  Loki felt a surge of resentment flood his veins.  Not only was she sitting on the very throne he was denied, she was revelling in the fact that she'd all but killed Odin to do it.  At least, Loki thought, he'd been willing to wait till he died of less unnatural causes.

"Yes.  I think we got off on the wrong foot, you and I." he smiled ingratiatingly and half bowed.  It pained him to be so, well, subservient. Needs must though, he thought to himself, needs must. "I think we can come to some arrangement don't you?  I mean, if you are to rule the nine realms, you'll need people you can trust.  People you can leave the day to day minutiae with." he walked half up the steps, his ankle chains clanking in the silent hall.  Skurge looked at him, unable to tell if he really was double crossing Susie or this was some elaborate plan. He said nothing.  Just waited.

"Go on." Hela sat more upright, this was interesting.  Loki was actually willing to switch sides?  No, surely he wouldn't abandon his "friends" now?  Abandon the Valkyrie? How far was he willing to go to get near to the throne that had so very nearly been his?  

"Well, as you know, I am well versed in the ways of Midgard, having a bit of experience in that arena as you might say," he began with a shrug "I could take it off your hands, be a Regent in your stead.  You know, the day to day stuff. Leave you free to further your... ambition." he chose the words carefully.  Just crawling enough to appeal to her own self-importance but not so much that she would smell a rat. He took another step up. 

Hela stood and walked down to meet him. "And what do you want?  For your obedience and loyalty?  Apart from making that little ragtag band of Midgardians you call the Avengers kneel before you?" she grasped Loki's chin in her hand, tilting his head to look into his eyes. "You aren't telling me your suddenly overcome with the desire to be a loving brother now ARE you?"

Loki smiled and blushed delicately. "Well, heavens no." he admitted. "I do have one request.  Well, two actually." he decided now was the time to reel her right in. "I want to have the Valkyrie as my Pet.  You know, personal attack dog. Since you have managed to acquire Fenrir's loyalty...." he trailed off, looking at the wolf who now sat gazing at his master from the side of the throne.  From where she stood, Hela couldn't see as the wolf looked at Loki then turned and walked away, as if on command. 

"Agreed." she looked at him. 

"Really?" he was taken aback then instantly suspicious. "That was easy. Ok, so the other thing... please take these bloody chains off and furnish me with my weapons.  Now I am loyal, you have nothing to fear sister dearest." he looked at her fiercely, as if his pride would no longer allow him to led around by someone like Skurge.

For a moment she looked at him, then nodded. "Agreed" she waved to Skurge "Take him back to the cells, let him put the chains on his little pet himself then all of you, return to me.  I have a little task for you.  A test of loyalty shall we say?"

"A test? What do you mean a test?" Loki was instantly on his guard.  This wasn't good.  It was unlikely to involve anything other than someone dying.  Probably at his hand. Skurge risked a quick glance at him and was rewarded with a look that equalled his own rising fear.  

"Oh don't you worry Brother dear, it won't be anything you haven't done before.  I can assure you of that.  Just maybe not on such an intimate level. Now, don't be very long.  I grow weary of waiting to begin my conquests." she dismissed his with a wave of her hand.  This was going to be good.  She almost had him where she wanted him.

The two of them retreated in silence.  Waiting until they were almost at the dungeons, Loki stopped and pulled Skurge into a side chamber. 

"Go, free the Valkyrie, tell her to meet me back in the throne room.  Make sure she gets out the dungeons and to the audience chamber. No matter what happens, no matter what you hear you MUST get her inside ok? Tell her, tell her I believe in her.  She can do this.  I'll be there when the time comes. Now GO!" he held his hands out and the chains and collar disappeared instantly.  Skurge just stared incredulously.  Loki looked about as smug as Skurge had ever seen.

"Come on! What did you expect?" he said as he grinned and turned tail, drawing his daggers and disappearing back the way he'd come.

Skurge made his way to the cells, finding Susie sitting, head in hands much as he'd left her.  She looked up at the sound of his feet. Seeing him alone, she stood, her face a picture of fear. "Wh- where's Loki?" she said, almost afraid to ask.

"He's alive and he's no longer in chains.  He said to make your way to the audience chamber.  You HAVE to fulfil your destiny.  She's losing the plot by the second.  He's.." and here he paused "he's waiting for you and he knows you can do it." he shrugged "whatever 'IT' is?" he had a sneaking suspicion he knew EXACTLY what IT was, he just didn't want to think of the consequences of failure. 

"Oh Skurge, I can't.  I'm not strong enough. You saw what happened.  I'm fooling noone, least of all her. How can I fight her.  She's too powerful." she sat back down "Loki should abandon me and save himself.  He's her brother, he's her cunning and intelligent Brother, she could use someone like him." 

Skurge walked up to her and deactivated the shield.  He grabbed the Dragon Fang from the floor and thrust it into her hands. "You listen to me." he said in a voice that startled even him "you get your arse up to that room. Whatever Loki may be, he's no fool and if he thinks you can do whatever in Odin's name you have to, then you CAN." he yanked her arm and dragged her out into the hallway.  "Now go, I'll be at your back, I'll make sure you get there. Whatever you think of me, I know a mad woman when I see one.  She has to be stopped.  And now."  he propelled her forwards "Now GO!" 

She looked at him, and for the first time, really saw him as he once was.  A brave warrior.  For all his self-preservation skills, for all his bravado and slick words, he was a true fighter, a true hero.  Without thinking, she turned and hugged him. "Thank you Skurge, thank you for everything." she smiled and he nodded, 

"Get away with you woman. I'm not some simpering Midgardian!" he smiled though and his voice was softened by emotion "save Asgard, save us all." 

There was a noise behind him and two Skeleton Warriors came thundering down the corridor.  They had been betrayed.  Without missing a beat, Skurge turned and charged at them head on. "For ASGAAAAAARD!" he yelled as he dispatched them, only to see a whole troop following on. His face contorted in anger as he heard Heimdal's words "whatever the cost" echo in his head.

Today was a good day to die, tonight he would feast with Fandral and Hogen in Valhalla.

Susie couldn't allow herself the luxury of tears, there would be time later.  She needed to find Loki and together they just might succeed.