Please Don't...

"So THAT'S the plan?" Fury stood up and looked at them then stalked to the window and perched on the ledge. "Have you lost your minds?" he stared at them, shaking his head. "I will NOT allow this.  You can't expect me to sanction a suicide mission.  Not even for this.  Not when there are alternatives." he stood up and paced up and down, his long leather coat flapping behind him.  Susie found herself mesmerised by it, beginning to tune out from the incessant ranting.

"Are you even LISTENING?! " his voice cut into her thoughts.  "This is NOT a game.  This is the fate of you, me, everyone.  And not just on this planet.  Do you understand? I - you know - THE BOSS AROUND HERE -  have decided Tony's idea is better." 

" I hear you Director and given that it's a stupid decision I have decided - you know - THE VALKYRIE WHO HAS TO KILL HER - to ignore it." she drew herself up to her full height, still a good 10 inches shorter than him, but nobody would have known it from the size of her forceful outburst. "You know it makes sense.  If there's one thing that's bigger than her desire to crush me, it's her ego.  I flatter her?  I make her think I'm with her, not against her?  She'll be so blinded by hubris that there will be every chance to get close.  Really close. When I do?  When she least suspects it? Then...." Susie drew her hand across her neck.

"Oh yeah?  And how do we convince the Wicked Witch that Dorothy is as loyal as she says?" Fury shrugged "She's not just going to take your say-so.  Even if you ARE a Valkyrie." the word dripped from his tongue like poison as he "quoted" with his fingers. 

Steve looked at Fury and nodded "I get that, I get that reference!" he looked almost pleased and Tony laughed. The rest of them ignored it as Susie walked over to Thor and Loki, resting a hand on each of their shoulders as they sat in front of her.

"Ah well, that's where the team come in." Susie smiled and looked at her companions.  "I'm going to bring her a tribute. " she gestured towards Loki and Thor "I'm going to give her, her brothers.  On a plate.  In chains." 

"You have GOT to be kidding me?"  Steve looked horrified and Fury just looked. "Directory Fury, I have to protest.  We can't just..."

"Hold your horses Cap.." Fury held up a hand. "Do you seriously think she'll swallow it?  I mean, Sparkles and Lurki?  In chains? Literally?" 

"It's THOR!"

"It's LOKI" 

They said in unison as the rest sniggered.  

"Yes, quite literally.  She won't kill them for a day or two" Susie made it sound very run of the mill, "so there will be time to get on side, benefit from the kudos then slide a sharp little Dragon Fang in her jugular.  No mess - well minimal mess - no fuss, no Hela." she shrugged casually.

"And you two are ok with this?" he turned to the brothers with a look of amazement.

"Well, not ok, that's stretching it a bit, but we can see the logic.  Hela is nothing if not Odin's daughter.  She'll assume she can dominate anyone. You know how it goes, keep your friends close, your enemies closer." Thor turned to Susie "But you MUST promise us to be careful Little Sister.  We can only protect you so far.  You'll be on your own until the last moment when we are able to come to your aid." he looked genuinely concerned and Susie smiled.

"It's ok, I will. I know how much is resting on this." she patted his shoulder and looked at Loki who turned away, his face a mask of neutrality. "What about you Loki? Anything to add?" she said gently. There was something in his face, the way he was devoid of all emotion, spoke more loudly than any objection.

"No." he glared at her "What could I possibly have to add that anyone would take seriously?" his bitterness surprised even him.  He couldn't tell her, not here, in front of everyone that he was terrified. Terrified to lose the only woman he would ever love.  The admission and simultaneous denial tore him in two.  That made him into the Loki everyone expected.  It was easier that way.

Fury walked to the door, "Ok, let's take tonight to prepare.  I know a safe house near here.  Those of you that want to, can join me, otherwise we rendezvous back here tomorrow at 1300 hrs.  Valkyrie might be doing the heavy lifting once we get Hela into our trap, but we ALL need to be ready to fight the minions she's going to bring to the party.  We cannot allow collateral damage again like ..." he trailed off, realising what he was about to say and to whom he was about to say it. 

"2012." Loki finished the sentence flatly and there was an awkward pause.

"Yes, well, anyway. Let's go."

Everyone except Thor and Loki stood up and walked to the door behind him.  Tony and Steve left to make sure the Quinjet was still safely camouflaged and Fury went outside to call Coulson to update him. 

That just left Susie.  

Thor took one look at her, then Loki, then made a feeble attempt at an excuse and walked into the kitchen closing the door behind him.  He had no wish to be part of THIS conversation.

Loki walked up to her and took her hand.  His face had softened from the hard mask into something more, well, more.  She closed her eyes and swallowed, trying to keep a check on her rising emotions.  In mission mode, it was easy.  Now, here, alone with him, the feelings she'd been able to suppress rushed to the surface.

"Please don't" he said quietly "Please don't do this."

"I have to" she shook her head, staring at their hands, unable to look him in the eye. If she did, she would be lost.

"No. You don't.  You could let us trap her and then just come in and kill her." he said matter of factly. "You don't have to take a chance."

"Why do you care anyway?" she tried to protect her heart with venom. "You, who were prepared to let me think a fantasy cared about me.  Not a real person.  A fantasy.  Just for fun." her voice shook, betraying her.  She wasn't angry, she was sad.  Sad he had tricked her, sad she had fallen for someone who wasn't real.  Sad she still wanted Loki. 

"I do care Susie. I care a great deal more than you seem to believe." he reached down and grasped her chin gently, making her look at him. "I - I - don't mean to hurt people. Hurt you. I've just done it so long that I don't know anything else." he sighed, not breaking either her gaze or his grip.

"Well, you don't have to worry about me Loki.  I'm a Valkyrie after all. I can take care of myself.  I don't need you.  I don't need anyone." she closed her eyes and tears squeezed from beneath her lashes.

"I don't believe that any more than you do. You said you liked me. Do you still? " he said softly, bending towards her. For a moment, she opened her eyes and he was lost.  The tears sparkling on her lashes, the deep pools of her eyes, the pain and longing in her heart. All captured him in that moment. He moved closer, his breath becoming short and ragged. "Susie, please, I..." 

"Loki I ..." she whispered, her head spinning as she realised what was happening.

Suddenly there was a shout from the kitchen and Thor burst through the door, "BROTHER! we have to leave NOW!" 

They sprang apart, Loki cursing and Susie frantically wiping the tears from her face. 

"What do you mean leave NOW? Have you ANY idea what ..." Loki started to say but was stopped in his tracks as the window  exploded inwards in a shower of glass and debris. He instinctively protected Susie, crouching over her.  An army of undead warriors, resurrected from Asgard's vaults, poured in brandishing weapons and screeching.  

Loki stood, drawing his daggers and Thor summoned Mjolnir, taking out as many as he could with that first swipe.

"Susie, leave NOW!" Thor said, Mjolnir ranging to and fro, trying to stem the tide. "Susie?" 

As the brothers fended off the attackers, they became aware she was no longer at their back.  She'd not escaped though, no, to their horror the only glimpse they got was Susie being carted off by a very large and very fearsome looking beast that they knew had previously been languishing in Asgard's jail. 

As Thor and Loki despatched what had turned out to be the diversion, Susie was on her way to Asgard for the first time in many, many years.  The plan was in tatters. Now they needed her to be every bit as strong as they hoped.  They needed her to be a true Valkyrie.