Good Morning Mr Laufeyson

The buzzer sounded and Loki craned his neck to see if he could catch a glimpse of his nemesis.  Sadly, his window wasn't quite at the right angle, whoever they were, they were standing so close to the door all he could see was their shadow.  It was small.  He groaned.  Not another self important official with 'small-man' syndrome.  

Crossing to the intercom he didn't bother to speak - what was the point - he just released the door.  Opening the front door, he left it off the latch and went and sat in the living room, facing the door.  He wasn't going to make this easy for them.  Any stooge of Stark would have to work VERY hard to get even a modicum of respect, let alone his full attention.

As he passed the hall mirror, he briefly contemplated the horns.  No, perhaps that was a step too far, even for him.  He had a reputation?  Well, here you go little man, deal with it.  He wore his full Asgardian Battle Armour, cloak swishing as he stalked back into his lair. His hair, now back to it's real colour, streamed raven dark down to his shoulders and it swung gently as he went. He was tall, broad shouldered and devilishly handsome in it and he knew it.  Imposing wasn't the word.  He wasn't quite sure WHAT the word was, but it was intimidating and he loved it.

He sat upright, legs open, arms on the armrests , dominant and defiant.  He may not have the throne he was entitled to, but he would have his own, here in his own apartment. In a last minute show of theatrical dominance, a green flash at his side conjured a large, grey, green-eyed wolf.  He looked down as the animal looked up, it's teeth bared in a low growl of acknowledgment. 

"Hello old friend, I've missed you" he crooned as it settled, head on paws.

The front door closed with a click and there was the sound of heels on his wooden flooring. Odd, he thought.  How many men - even here - wear heels to work?  His interest had been piqued. The heels stopped in the hallway for a moment, were they checking themselves in the mirror?  As well they might, they were, in effect about to have an audience with a King.

The door swung open and a voice said softly, "Good Morning Mr Laufeyson."  

It took all Loki's concentration not to react.  Fenrir sat up, then stood up, stalking to meet the incomer.  For their part, they didn't flinch, they didn't move. They just stood as the animal circled them, growling quietly.  Fenrir was pretty much exactly as he was painted, large, scary and - usually - very vicious.  In reality, he'd fought along side Loki.  Despite being a projection, the animal was endowed with all Fenrir's real qualities and, within limitations, would act independently.  This is why what happened next shocked Loki even more than the appearance of the agent.

The agent took a step forward and Fenrir lay down at her feet.  Rolled onto his side and closed his eyes.  She bent down and rubbed his head, murmuring to him. Loki could hardly keep his mouth from hanging open.

When she stood again and walked forwards, it did.  "I'm Susie Wilson and I'll be your parole officer for the coming months.  If you're trying to intimidate me?  It won't work."  She side eyed Fenrir letting him know she was no fool.  She took another step forward until she was directly in front of him.  "I hope, Your Highness, we can come to some sort of working understanding.  This will be so much easier for us both.  Believe me."

She paused and then smiled broadly, her tone softening. "There, offical posturing over. By both of us?  Let's get down to business - you can take the armour off now Mr Laufeyson, it's bound to be restrictive and hot." she paused as if considering something, " Very hot." she looked at him and despite himself he grinned.  

Susie Wilson eh? So THIS was the new job.  Now the shock had worn off, he knew this was going to be much more interesting than he'd dared hope.  In a second he was in a black suit and tie and she nodded approvingly. She'd obviously been thoroughly briefed if a little magic didn't phase her. 

"Good, now we can get down to it, what do you say?" she sat on the sofa opposite him, crossing her slim legs at the ankle.  Hair up, makeup on, she wore a well cut trouser suit, silk blouse and moderately high heels.  Obviously in professional mode, she looked completely different from the jeans and hoodie girl he'd met the day before.  He liked both.  To his surprise though, he especially liked jeans and hoodie Susie.  She was warm and open.  Suit Susie, well, she was something else.  Maybe he could get her to be warm and open too?  

"Oh my dear Ms Wilson, I'd like nothing more." he said with a slightly uncomfortable leer.  She frowned and looked at him over the top of her glasses.  

"Please try to concentrate Mr Laufeyson, I don't have all day.  I have places to go and people to see. I have a life because I'M not a murderer." 

"No, you don't." it was out before he could stop it and for once, he wanted to bite his silver tongue out.

She stared at him, obviously reigning in her automatic reaction to the remark.  She bit the end of her finger, turning the flesh white and Loki could see the irritation - and truth - in his remark.  He was instantly sorry.

"I'm sorry, that was uncalled for.  I - well - I just am usually faced with people who are too scared to even speak to me let alone tell me what to do. " he shrugged and she relaxed a little.  Her face reflecting a passing thought.  One he could read.

"WHY DO I FEEL LIKE I KNOW THOSE EYES?" 

He smiled to himself, there were some things no-one could deny, and this connection, although she wasn't aware of it yet, was one of them.

He clicked his fingers and Fenrir rose and padded over to him, sitting lazily at his feet, head on Loki's knee.  Her eyes followed the wolf and she lingered on it's head, nestled dangerously close to his lap, just a tad too long.  A faint blush crept up her cheeks and she shook her head.

"Right, enough with the pleasantries, let's get this schedule sorted." she took out a pad and pen and looked at him.  There is was again, that feeling she knew him - apart from the obvious - those eyes.  They'd be the death of her she thought.  But not today.

"So, I thought I could see you Wednesdays - does that suit?" she looked up again and into his face, he'd moved to the sofa beside her.  She swallowed, feeling more intimidated than in any moment up till now. His aftershave filled her nostrils and he smelt of mint and spice and something else.  Something primal.  OH DEAR GOD GET A GRIP, her mind screamed at her.

She looked away, concentrating hard.  

"You can see me any time you like Ms Wilson." he said quietly "Any time at all."  

There was a silence as heavy as a winter snow for a moment, then she almost leapt up, gathering her stuff as quickly as she could. "Fine. Good. Right, sorry. I have to go.  I'm - I'm double booked, my mistake.  See you next week Mr Laufeyson.  I'll leave these rules with you.  Any questions, my number is on the form.  Goodbye, I'll see myself out."

And with that, she was gone.

Standing in the street a minute or two later, she steadied her breathing.  Way to go Susie, she thought, how professional was THAT? He's got a reputation as long as your arm and you let him into your head.  You IDIOT! But he was hot, dear God he was hot. Especially in that leather and metal.  She allowed herself a little moment to smile and her insides twitched at the thought.  

She walked away down the street.  She didn't need to turn to know she was being watched.

As Loki stood at the window, he could hear the thoughts and feel the swirling emotions.  For once, the chaos he'd created didn't give him pleasure.  For once, he wanted to take it all back.  Suit Susie was going to be a hard one to win over. She would give him a hard time now, he just knew it.

He only hoped that Hoodie Susie would be kinder.