Furious....

"So you see, we need you to come back immediately.  If not sooner!" Tony sat in the Quinjet Pilot's seat and looked at Steve and Fury.  "We can't delay, you still haven't found him after how long?  Two months of leads?  He's not coming out any time soon.  You can still ask King T'Challa if he knows - once we have this situation sorted." 

"I don't know Tony, this is as close as we've ever been.  Last night we heard he'd disappeared with some pretty fierce looking women warriors. Now, there's only one lot of warriors we know that fit that description." Steve shrugged and for the first time Fury spoke.

"We don't act now and she'll win.  Hela will take Asgard completely and God knows where it will end.  We could end up with some madman killing half the bloody Universe in retribution." 

"We are NOT letting that Harpie win. " Fury looked across at Steve, who looked back in surprise at the apparent 180.  Turning so that his remaining good eye bored into Steve's skull, Fury continued,  "Your little friend will have to wait.  If we don't finish Thor's Big Sister from Hell now, there may be no point in trying to track down The White Wolf." he turned to Tony. "Ok, you win this time Stark.  Get us home and get us home now."  He sat down in one of the back seats.  "by the way, how are Sparkles and Lurki getting on these days?  Speaking?" his voice was low, but not quite low enough it seemed.

Tony smirked and there was a growl from the open rear tailgate.  "I heard that." Thor's voice carried in on the breeze and Fury gave a rare smile. 

"I don't care." 

There was a general snigger and Thor hoisted himself back into the jet.  "I am doing my best to keep him out of trouble as you well know. " he placed Mjolnir down on the seat next to him and looked at the rest, "So? What are we waiting for?  Time to go! We have people to save." 

Steve shook his head and smiled, it never failed to amuse him how Thor was, despite his war-like tendencies, still a gentle child inside.  His world, it seemed was even more black and white than Steve's own.  Seventy years in the ice had left him as a man out of time, Thor however, was a man out of his world.  He wondered if that was the real difference between him and Loki, not the Asgard/Jotun thing, no.  The innocent / guilty thing.  Loki knew how many beans made five in any given situation whereas Thor was more concerned that everyone had a fair share of the beans.

A few hours later, the jet came to a standstill in a large open grass area to the north of London.  It was a little outside the city but easier to conceal and remain safe if it all went south.  Putting it into conceal mode and leaving a Mk47 suit on sentry mode, they left and made for Loki's apartment.  They made a motley crew, and really rather conspicuous.  This, however, was part of the long game.  The plan to lure Hela to them.  Trooping in to the house, Steve left his shield at the door and Thor hung his hammer on the coat rack in the hall.  Fury shook his head.  Weirdos, the lot of them.

"Ah Director Fury - how nice to see you again so soon!" Loki stood and bowed obsequiously, sarcasm oozing from every pore. Some habits died hard.

"Loki...." Thor growled quietly and his brother merely smiled.  Tony rolled his eyes in a 'here we go' expression.

"Save it" Fury shut them down. "I know and you know that this..." he indicated the gilded cage that Loki presently lived in, was more Thor's doing than Loki's redemption, "is just another prison.  I have no intention of letting you loose on the population unchecked. Not until I'm sure you're not going to try and slaughter us all in our sleep." there was no trace of humour in his face now and Loki knew he was deadly serious.  In every sense of the word.

"I apologise Director, I was merely making polite conversation.  I see now that was inappropriate.  Please, everyone come in and sit down.  Our Valkyrie will be here soon.  We need to have the plan committed to memory today so we can start to reel our sister in.  As soon as she becomes aware of exactly WHO our Valkyrie is, the gloves are off.  She already knows she's here."

Hela sat in the throne room and drummed her fingers on the arm of Odin's great golden throne.  She'd defeated him easily enough before she'd even set foot back in the Kingdom.  He'd simply realised his time as ruler was up and disappeared to join Frigga.  Shame, she thought, would have liked to have seen that.   She looked across at Skurge who was, as usual, loitering in the shadows.

"Skurge? Would you come here please." she called him over, a pretence at asking when they both knew there was no choice in the matter.

"Yes your Majesty?" 

"Well?  Do you have any news for me?" she smiled and he thought she resembled nothing less than a dragon eyeing up it's next meal.  He swallowed nervously.  

"N-news?  I'm not sure I follow.." he was cut off as he played for time.  She stood, drawing one of her long daggers and pointing it at his throat.

"Now Skurge, you seem like an intelligent fellow - well more intelligent than that idiot Fandral anyway, he's dead and you're not..." she paused thinking of the handsome warrior dead at her feet again.  Sighing, she continued. "You know that lying to me is NOT a good idea DON'T you Skurge?"

"Yes, your Majesty."

"So, let's try this again.  Do you have any news for me?" the smile was even more strained now.

"No your Majesty." he closed his eyes and swallowed again.  

"No?  NO? What do you mean NO!" now there was no false smile.  Now there was a scowl and a rage and a terrifying thought he was about to die. "I asked you to FIND her.  You got me within a Bilgesnipe's hair of her but not close enough and those BOYSCOUT brothers of mine got in the way."

"Wh- whats a Boyscout?" Skurge tried to change the subject. It didn't work.

"They're from Midgard.  Its an army for young.... NEVER MIND WHO THEY ARE!" she grabbed him by the collar and hissed in his face. "FIND HER and tell me WHO she is before I send YOU to Helheim in her place.  You have until sunset tomorrow to find her. I suggest you get a move on."  She released him and brushed some imaginary grime off her hands, a sneer painted over her face. "I really don't know why the Valkyrie are so against me?  I could use someone intelligent.  I'm surrounded by idiots.  I'm trying to rule and I'm surrounded by idiots."

She stalked off and Skurge watched her go, not daring to move until he left the room. 

As the guards closed the doors behind her, he heaved a sigh of relief and sank onto the steps at the bottom of the throne.  He didn't sign up for this.  He'd only wanted a bit of excitement.  A bit of recognition for his services on Vanaheim.  He really didn't want this.  Her.  He had no choice.  Find the Valkyrie and hope to all the Gods the rumour was true.  Only a Valkyrie was strong enough to kill Hela and make her stay dead.  If she couldn't, if she failed or was killed herself, half the Universe was in jeopardy.  If only there was some way to contact Thor without her finding out.  Since Heimdal had gone into hiding - was maybe even dead - no-one had the sight.  No-one had the ability to just see into the other realms.  Spies just took too long and there were too many willing to sell him out.   He was at a loss what to do.

As he sat, head in hands, he didn't see the tall hooded figure walk silently up to him.  It wasn't until they spoke, he looked up.

"I see you Skurge.  I see your turmoil and I see your desperation to make amends.  I will help you on one condition.  You go to Midgard and when you are there, you protect the Valkyrie no matter the cost.  Do you understand?" 

Skurge looked up, his face a picture of surprise and relief. He nodded, realising the projection was his only chance at redeeming the situation.

"Yes, yes I will.  Thank you Heimdal, thank you.