"Sorry."

"And it looked like he was getting ready to take them all on himself." Chris started again after sending Asher a small look. He told them about how he pushed himself up and fired a shot at one of the ninjas. "I've known for a while Katashi was in the country. I spent yesterday tracking him down."

Isaac pointed at the wound Allison just finished patching up. "Didn't look like he wanted to be found."

"Not particularly, no." Chris shook his head.

"You think he knows what they are? Or what they want?" Scott questioned.

"Maybe." He says.

"What if he doesn't want to talk?" Allison asks.

"What if he doesn't even remember you?" Isaac adds as Chris pushes himself up from his chair.

The man grabs the wooden box that sits on his desk. He spins it to face them. "He'll remember this." Chris opens the box, revealing a broken mask. One of the ninja's masks. "I know it didn't kill it it. I'm not sure you can. But I slowed it down long enough for us to get out of there."

Asher stood up and walked over to the rest of them. She reached in the box and pulled out a pice of the mask. It was cold against her palm and the moment it touched her skin, she had a bad feeling.

"If there's a way to kill it then we better find it because these dumb ninjas are already on my last nerve." Asher dropped the mask back into the box.

"What was behind the mask?" Scott narrowed his eyes at the piece of the mask he was holding.

"Darkness. Absolute darkness." Chris said bluntly.

"Well... That's not terrifying at all." Asher pursed her lips.

--------------------

Asher was in her car, currently parked in the school's parking lot, when her phone rang. Her brows furrowed at the number she didn't recognize.

"Uh, hello?" She answered.

"Asher Lewis?" A feminine voice from the other end asked.

It took a moment but Asher recognized the voice.

"What do you want?" She clenched her jaw.

"I just want to see you." The voice said.

What unsettled Asher was that she sounded sincere.

"No. Absolutely not. You and that dumbass Mike can stay out of my life like you have been for the past nine years." Asher snapped. "You didn't care when I left, so don't pretend you care about me now."

"Asher, sweetie, your fath-" She started.

"No." Asher stopped her.

"Okay, okay. Mike... passed away last night." The woman told her.

Asher froze. She didn't know what to say. Asher never thought she would hear those words. "W-What?"

"I know we haven't reached out, and that probably hurt, but I'm holding a memorial for him on Saturday. I was hoping you would come." She continues.

"I gotta go." Asher said.

"Wait-"

But Asher didn't. She hung up and her phone dropped to her lap. And she just sat there, staring off into the distance. Asher didn't know what to feel. Suddenly, someone knocked on the window, making her jump.