Chapter Five. Realization

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, that's where I saw her." he told himself.

Mackenzie jolted awake from a sound sleep. She looked around the room seeing if there was anything that could have disturbed her. When she realized that she was still at the North Pole, she decided to take a walk to explore and hopefully tire herself out. She got out of bed put on her shoes and left her room. Everything was quiet now, so she assumed that everyone else went to sleep. The lights in the workshop were off and so were the rooms around it. She usually liked the quiet, but this quiet was a little unsettling.

She found herself in the kitchen where Bernard and Poinsettia were sitting next to each other staring into a snow globe; they were speaking what Mackenzie thought was Swedish, their sentences were broken up by the sound of crying. She didn't want to bother them, so she turned to leave but bumped into a cart and knocked some trays onto the floor. The two elves turned. "I'm sorry! I was just leaving." Mackenzie quickly picked the trays up.

"Why don't you join us?" Poinsettia asked wiping her tears away.

Bernard looked at her, he knew she was being nice. But she could also be playing match maker, which he didn't want her to.                             "I don't want to intrude."

"You won't, come have a seat." Poinsettia smiled. Mackenzie went over and sat across from Bernard. She got a better look at the snow globe that sat in front of the two elves. Inside of the dome was a small village, with snow covered roofs and trees, a train circled around the mini village, and an image of Santa flying with his reindeer was at the very top. The dark wood of the base was also painted with a beautiful village. It almost looked 3D.

"That's beautiful. Is it the one your father gave both of you?" Mackenzie asked, hoping that she didn't overstep by asking.

"Yes, Bernard was Charlie's age when it was given to us." Poinsettia answered, placing her hand on her brother's, who was glaring at the human.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     "Can I hold it? I want to get a better-"

"No!" Bernard shouted grabbing the globe. Mackenzie looked at him surprised by his reaction.

"Bernie she is our guest. Be nice." "Her uncle is the reason that Father is gone!" he yelled in south elfish, he shot the red head another look, then teleported away. Poinsettia sighed; she understood where his anger was coming from, but he could still be nicer. She turned back to Mackenzie, who stared in shock. Poinsettia laughed a bit.

"Did he just... disappear?"

"Yeah, it's something that only south elves can do."

"Only South elves?" Mackenzie was confused. Poinsettia nodded. "Yeah, since our mother is from the South Pole, we have some powers that North Pole elves don't." She could tell that the human was more confused. "Then why is she here?" Mackenzie asked realizing that sounded rude. "Sorry, I didn't mean it like that."

"It's alright, Santa, my father, went to the south pole for a meeting with his adoptive brother Krampus, and that's where my parents met. They knew it was true love right away."

"How did they know?" Mackenzie has always been curious about elves for as long as she could remember. Poinsettia smiled, glad that she wanted to learn about elves.

"They both saw a sparkle."

"A sparkle?" Mackenzie raised her eyebrow.

"Yes. A sparkle appears in an elf's eye when they have found the one, they're supposed to be with. The sparkle has to appear to both people, even if one of them is not an elf, which means they are bonded together forever. For us elves, forever means nothing to us, since we have immortality. If something happens to one of the people in that relationship, it is nearly impossible to get a new sparkle with someone else." Poinsettia stopped for a moment. "The sparkle will work for anyone with the Spirit of Christmas in their heart." She finished, smiling bigger, "Though I've never known of it appearing twice for the same people."