Chapter 32 | Uncle Duties

Start from the beginning

"Exactly." She nods and I kiss the top of her head, making her giggle. She moves out of my arms to take a better look at Faye, "How's my adorable niece?"

"Almost asleep." Granny Eira replies. Corvina has her head on her shoulder, watching Faye as she falls asleep.

This baby is definitely adored by every single one of us. She's our hope. Our everything. She's my niece. Hell, I love her like she's my own daughter. That's how much I care about her.

It's been a day since we left her parents behind and she's been screaming since then. She's only quiet when I'm feeding her and even then, she still has teary eyes.

I watch over her when Granny Eira leaves. I try to keep her calm and soothed, Mera tries that too but it's futile. Faye is a quiet baby. She doesn't cry often. But when her parents aren't around she cries relentlessly.

When it's time for dinner, I place her in that baby carriage thing and stroll toward the dining hall in the Inn. We all settle at the large table, everyone is on edge. We want to leave as soon as they come back.

Whenever the fuck that will be.

"How's Faye?" Laurent asks as he settles beside me, pulling Faye's carriage thing closer to him so he can look at her.

"Asleep. Finally. Which is more than we anticipated."

"Good. She's exhausted herself. I have no idea how a tiny baby can make so much noise."

"Trust me, me neither." I sigh, taking a sip of my water before taking a bite of my food. It doesn't take Faye long to wake up again, especially with everyone chattering. I can't shut them all up and I also can't blame them for talking.

"Princess," I smile down at her. "Morning, my little princess. Are you happy or sad?" I question as I gently take her into my arms. "You seem smiley so I assume that you're happy, right?"

She gives me one of her adorable smiles, her hand in her mouth as she blows raspberries at me. "Oh, that means that you're very happy. Aren't you, Amaris?"

I've noticed that she likes it when I talk to her. I use both of her names because I find them both adorable. Well, Rhae is one of her names too but I'll use that one when she's older.

"Mommy and Daddy will be here soon, okay, darling?"

Her big eyes seemingly widen when I mention her parents or maybe I'm imagining that but I believe that my niece is highly intelligent. She's probably smarter at four months than some 5-year-old.

I kiss her forehead and watch as she smiles when my beard scratches her. I really haven't had the time to shave so I have a stubble beard. She scrunches her nose just like Fallon does and then puts her hand up to touch my cheek. I laugh when her eyes grow bigger.

I never knew that children could be this entertaining.

"You don't like it, do you?"

Her lips quiver and she's about to cry but doesn't remove her hand from my face. I gently pull it away so she doesn't hurt herself and cry. "Okay, my little princess. I'll shave." I playfully roll my eyes at her and she seems to find that funny.

She giggles.

Fal mentioned that she's made a giggly sound before but I don't that Faye has giggled before.