Chapter 1

"Caroline! We need clean glasses please," calls Penny from the opposite side of the bar.

     "On it," I shout back. The Hard Deck is unusually packed for a Thursday night. Most weekday nights are pretty calm besides Fridays, but for some reason, it seems like everybody in the Navy decided that they needed a drink.

     I forced my way through the crowd of men and women in various uniforms till I finally make it to the door for the kitchen. I give it a quick kick to swing it open, and head towards the back by the sinks. Normally I'd shout a quick greeting to Jimmy from where he stands at the frier, but his head is low in concentration, so I decide against it.

     I take the few spare seconds I have back here away from customers to smooth down my dark hair, and make sure the braid that goes down my back is still presentable. I do a quick check to make sure my black "The Hard Deck" shirt hasn't gotten to dirty from the drinks I've no doubt already spilled on myself. My jeans on the other hand are a light blue and already have a few stains from the beer. The bar had opened a few hours ago, and already my feet are exhausted. I really need to remind Penny to hire more staff. After taking the few minutes to regain my self, I walk further into the kitchen.

     The blue crate is stacked next to the sink and contains mainly clean beer glasses with a few wine and martini glasses thrown in. I grab the heavy crate and make my way back through the door into the main bar area.

Tonight the music is blasting, though I doubt anyone can hear it over the insane amount of voices that fill the space. Pushing my way back through the crowd is even harder with all the cups, but I manage to make it back behind the bar and set it down safely. Penny is on me in an instant, grabbing a few of the cups meant for beers while still attempting to hold a conversation with a small group of slightly older men on the other side of the bar. I hear her give her fake laugh that honestly sounds genuine, before turning to me quickly, "take the right side, there's more coming in and I haven't had a chance to serve them yet."

     I give her a curt nod then head over to my side of the bar, leaving the crate of cups unpacked. There's no point in restocking our dwindling supply when we are so busy, it's quicker to just grab from the clean crate and go. After all, this crowd isn't exactly picky about where their cups come from as long as it's filled with something.

     Down on the end of the bar a middle aged man has walked up and is now impatiently waving his hand to try and grab my attention. I make it a point to check in on a few of my previous customers I had served before slowly making my way over to him. Nothing bothers me more then people who have just walked in and instantly demand service. Especially when we are obviously busy.

     "Hi, what can I get ya?" I ask, getting straight to the point.

     "Miller Lite," he says. Clearly he isn't up for small talk. Fine by me. I reach into the small fridge, that's luckily below me, and grab the beer. I use the bottle opener that I keep attached to my belt loop to pop the top and slide it across the bar.

"Here's that for ya."

     "Thanks." He mutters, throwing down his card. "Keep it open."

     "You got it." After swiping his card and charging him for the beer, I slide it back across the bar top to him. He takes it shoves it into his pocket and walks away. "Your welcome," I can't help but utter under my breath. I've got no patience for rude customers tonight.

Penny on the opposite side of the bar seems to be having a far better time. She's got a smile plastered across her face and is managing to make small talk with everyone that approaches. As if she can sense me staring she turns and narrows her eyes slightly in concern. Her way of asking if everything is okay. I put on a fake smile and nod. She doesn't look entirely convinced, but seems to take my silent answer and goes back to her conversation.