to Love and to Lost

Another Chapter

Amalia's wedding Dress is to the right

Chapter 13- to Love and to Lost

Drake grabbed my hand and we ran to the king’s chambers. When we walked in I was not prepared for what I saw. He was pale as a sheet and his skin looked pasty. He actually looked like a vampire. Drake had fallen to his knees by the King’s bed and clutched his hand. I stood back with Maria and listened to the king

“Drake my son” he rasped out

“How did you become so sick? You were fine yesterday!” Drake said looking lost

“It must have been the blood... it is my time Drake” he said to him. I had tears in my eyes and so did Maria. I grabbed her hand in comfort

“I want to see you happy...” he rasped

“I am father” Drake’s voice was so sad it made the tears spill over.

“I renounce my crown to you... You will be kind on your wedding day” I stopped and felt my heart break. I walked up to the king

“Which will be soon” I assured him. The king looked at me and smiled a weak smile. He reached for my hand

“Thank you my child” he whispered. I nodded feeling so sad. Drake blindly reached for my free hand which I held tightly. He looked like a broken man. I broke out in tears as I saw the King’s eyes close and then his breathing stopped. Drake crumbled then. He broke down too. I dropped to my knees and hugged him so tightly. He clung to me like he would fall if he let go. I noticed Maria leave the room.

“Drake.... you need to make an announcement” Maria said coming back into the room. He shook his head so I stood up and let him mourn. I walked to the massive balcony where the whole town was waiting. When they saw me they all went quiet.

“I know I’m not the one that should be addressing you. But Prince Drake is in too much pain to” when I said that I saw the people grow so sad it hurt. “The Kind has passed away. He will always be in our hearts and I’m sure he was a great king. And his memory will live on” The people clapped but they were all still crying. I was too. I walked back in and saw the bed empty and Drake still in the same position.

“Drake?” I asked softly. he looked up at me with a broken expression.

“He’s gone” he whispered. I rushed to his side and hugged him tightly.

The King’s Funeral was huge. Everyone turned up and even vampires from different lands. It was sad and Drake wouldn’t let go of my hand while it went on. Afterwards there was a huge feast in The King’s Honour which went on for a few days. After the elaborate funeral was done the king’s advisors wanted to crown Drake king and me queen as soon as possible. Which meant we would get married very soon. That idea not only scared me but excited me more than anything. Drake on the other hand was down in the dumps just sitting there in the meetings and not saying much.

I really wanted to know how he was feeling.

“Drake?” I asked when we were getting ready for bed. He looked up at me and didn't say anything

“How are you my love?” I asked. he sighed and looked away.

“Tired” he eventually whispered. I walked over to his side of the bed and hugged him. he wrapped his arms around me tightly and sighed. We were getting married tomorrow and then he would be King.

“I love you” I whispered. And it was true. I knew that I loved him with all my heart. He looked at me with wide eyes

“You love me?”