At The End (Middle) of the Road

"Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you cannot find," I sang to myself as I sat in the middle of the road, waiting for my short employer to return and tell me what to do.

"Reaching, for something in the distance, so close you can almost taste it, release your inhibitions!" I continued singing, and some of the nearby shambling corpses started humming along.

They all wore the same clothes so they must have worked in the same company while they were alive.

The rest of the zombies I can see are all walking toward the only two houses I can see that don't look demolished or abandoned.

Must be that "Join the March" that the big-brained fellow spoke about.

"Feel the rain on your skin!" The nearby zombies started clapping and joining the song by stamping their feet or mumbling sounds that sound close to the words of the song.

Poor guys, their vocal cords must have been ruined when they resurrected. I sure am lucky to still have all of my body parts working as intended, except my nose of course.

Sure, my skin might be pale, my nose is gone, my grey-blue eyes are now more grey than blue, and my short brown hair has turned into a sickly white.

But I'm sure a haircut and a dentist, maybe even a manicure and a chiropractor should be able to fix all of my problems.

Except for my missing sense of smell, and nose.

"No one else can feel it for you, only you can let it in," I have no idea why I'm singing this song, but I don't have anything better to do while waiting for Big-Brain-McShorty to come back.

"No one else, No one else, Can speak the words on your lips!" It seems that some sort of commotion is going on at the two houses that all the zombies are heading toward.

Wonder what it could be.

"Drench yourself in words unspoken, live your life with arms wide open!" The sound of a car engine coming close can be heard, but nothing to indicate I'm in danger yet, so sitting in the middle of the road is still fine.

"Today is where your book begins!" I continue singing, the engine is heard getting closer, and the nearby zombies are doing what I can only describe as a stiff corpse's attempt at a dance, trying their best to join the song.

"The rest is still unwritten," I finish the chorus, and the engine stops, soon followed by the sound of a door opening and something grabbed me.

I am thrown into a large white van, filled with purple machines, and the big-brained employer of mine.

"Muahahahaha! Yes! I am Doctor Zomboss! And you will join me in taking over the world!" He yells, pointing a gloved finger at my face.

"Sure, is there anywhere I need to sign, or something like that?" I answer casually, causing his face to shift in confusion.

"Wait, that's it? You're not going to argue about the morality of world domination? Or maybe how that entails killing the last two remaining humans alive?" He asks, looking at me as if I'm the crazy one in this situation.

"I mean, they'll be able to come back as zombies, so I'm sure it is fine," I tell him.

"Huh, I guess so. And it's not like they're hiding or anything," Zomboss said, turning on a swivel chair back to the overly complicated driver's seat, pressing a few buttons and the van starts moving again, away from the houses all the zombies marching towards.

"I mean, what is the worst that can happen?"