Mayella had too spoken highly of her over the phone calls we'd been having and my heart warmed at how loving, sweet, pure and beautiful she was.

"Captain!" my eyebrows rose as I looked up at the brigade commander who must have been trying to get my attention for the past one minute.

"I was already done," I nodded once then rose up, not giving an indication that I hadn't heard the entirety of his briefing.

"Treat your wound soon." He watched me turn, lowering his gaze to my lower arm. He was a very observant soldier.

I briefly met his eye then walked out but his words abruptly stopped me. "Captain, this way." He directed me to the other side and it's then I realize I was about to walk into a wall.

Goodness, where are my thoughts!

I heard the brigade commander mumble under his breath, has the minor injury affected his brain?

A few soldiers walked here and there, some training as others gossiped around while several others trained in the fields. Needless to say, most of them weren't from my unit.

I spotted Reece waving over as he detached himself from some of his friends. Whereas I tended to keep to myself, Reece was a social butterfly, always mingling with everyone on the camp.

He had told me about some of them though I only remembered Enzo, the military doctor. He hadn't been here for that long but he was quite good at his job despite being some years younger.

"I'm famished," he exclaimed as soon as he got to me, releasing a lengthy whine. I rolled my eyes, giving him a side eye. Sitting all day and staring at screens was all he did.

I began to walk towards the common hall where we mostly had our meals. The food there wasn't that bad and I couldn't care much. It was just to keep my stomach full anyway.

"Did you know there's a new addition on our team?" Reece asked as soon we took our seats and I had just lifted my spoon to my mouth.

The guy never ran out of words.

I shook my head resuming my eating anyway. "It's a girl! Just saw her signing in and she's just my type. Ya know red hair, tall and petite." He went on and on rambling and I let him be. Could be some rumour he'd heard.

"Of course you're not interested," he stuffed more food into his mouth as he mumbled. If what he was saying were true, then everyone was likely talking about it. There has never been a female in our team.

"I know you're loyal but I'm just as hyped as any other normal man here is." He leaned back into his seat as he motioned everyone around and over the loud chatter, I could tell the stories were all the same.

"So?" Reece furrowed his eyes at me as I neared the end of my meal. Giving him the impassive look, he scoffed. "Much has happened, shouldn't you let me on?"

"What about?" I feigned ignorance of the sly smirk he was portraying as I gulped down a glass of water.

"I don't know exactly," he fixed his stare on my unmoving face, "The girl you went on a ride with or why you've been on your phone lately." My hand stopped from going to my pocket.

"A new friend," I grunted, chugging down another glass. It felt like he'd been spying on me which I knew he wasn't though he could get all detective on me.

"Friend?" Reece huffed as if I'd said the lamest joke to him. "Cheating on me already, after being your only friend?" He dramatically sighed faking some tears.

I flipped him off although he seemed to retaliate soon. "Out with this friend thing," I met his eye for only a second before the questions followed.

When did you meet? How long have you known each other? Does she know you're into her? Or did you already confess? Is it finally happening?