Chapter Eight

It was time for present opening and the inner circle had gathered by the fireplace as Veronica slowly made her way to the sofa and sat beside Kevin.

"You sang amazing, I think I fell in love with you." Kevin teased as Veronica hugged him, laughing nervously as her eyes made way behind towards Jughead.

He didn't notice at first but for a moment, their eyes locked and this time they didn't bother turning away. It felt familiar and Jughead just smiled at her making Veronica smile back.

Betty noticed this, at first, it didn't seem to send panic but after seeing this and the time Veronica was singing. She felt threatened, she knew she wanted her best friend and boyfriend to get along and now they were and she was jealous. Maybe it was all in her head and she was thinking too much but she had a bad feeling about it.

Not that she didn't trust Veronica but since Cheryl asked her about trusting Veronica, it made her start questioning her trust towards her best friend.

Betty slowly made her way towards Jughead and cozied herself in his arms.

"Are you okay?" Jughead managed to ask.

"Yeah I am....is it weird wanting to be with my boyfriend?" Betty's voice became a bit demanding. She was angry maybe jealous or it was just in her head but she hated it, seeing her boyfriend smile at another woman. Her best friend, Veronica who could get any man she wants. Jughead wasn't her type though.

"I'm tired... I'll just sit down." Betty thought as she removed herself from her boyfriend and sat to another single sofa.

Jughead watched as Betty left trying to figure out what or where he did wrong for Betty to get mad and act differently towards him.

Just then Cheryl stood at the centre preparing for opening statement about the secret Santa thing. Everyone was really curious about their secret Santa, others were hoping to get their crushes and others friends.

Jughead eyes landed at his gift for a split second, a twist forming in his gut. His happy mood from the days before rushing through his mind, mixing with his depressed, longing, feeling right now and making him a confused mess.

Jughead thinks, narrowing his eyes.

It's not that he's nervous about Veronica opening his gift, but if she doesn't like it or it's too much he wants to be able to avoid eye contact with her.

Would everyone please gather around the Christmas tree? Now that everyone is here, we can begin the exchange," Cheryl called out.

Cheryl picked up a random gift from under the tree and read the tags.

"This one's for Betty," Cheryl announced.

Betty lifted the lid of the gift box to reveal scented candles and a poem.

Betty picked up one of the candles. "They're gorgeous- and surprisingly heavy."

"Thought you'd like them...they have your favourite scent," Archie explained with a smile.

Betty smiled back. "That'll do it. Thank you, Archie. I love them."

"Aren't you gonna read the letter... I'm really dying to hear." Cheryl protested with a grin after seeing Veronica's and Jughead's reaction.

"Cheryl do we really...is it okay Archie?" Betty asked nervously as Archie agreed.

Everyone in the room was quiet as Betty read her poem which was sweet and poetic since it was describing how friendly and amazing she is as a woman.

Part of Veronica made her jealous, she wondered If Archie would have written a poem about her too or if he had feelings for her. She was mad but she had to hide it.

"That was sweet... Thank you Archie." Betty said sweetly as Jughead just rolled his eyes.

One by one, the crew opened their gifts. Surprisingly, everyone took the assignment of finding a thoughtful present seriously- even Dilton.

"That just leaves the raven haired hobo and the princess," Cheryl said, pointing at two similarly sized gift boxes.

"Ladies first," Jug offered, handing her a wrapped gift.

"So all this time you were my secret Santa." Veronica grinned. "..and so where you."

"-Well I took time to prepare it." Jug continued.

Veronica tore into the paper and opened the box excitedly. But when she saw what was inside, an undignified snort of laughter escaped her.

"I'm glad you find my heartfelt gift funny," Jug grumbled, his face falling.

"No, no, I'm sorry. It's not that at all," Vee said, picking up the lone present from under the tree. "Here- open your gift and you'll understand."

Jughead grabbed the present, dubious, but the moment he opened it, his face broke out in a smile.

"Care to let the rest of us in on the joke?" Toni asked.

They both held up two nearly identical novels, The secret history by Donna Tart. The main difference between them was that Jughead added a peach lipstick and some simple earrings and for Veronica, she added some charm bracelets and a drafted shirt.

"What are the odds the raven princess and hobo would not only be paired up, but get each other the same present?" Cheryl asked.

"They are exceedingly remote. If we assume-"

Cheryl cut him off, "That was a rhetorical question, Kevin. No need to do the math. Or scrutinize the situation further."

Veronica narrowed her eyes, "Wait a second, how did you-"

"Okay, that concludes the gift exchange portion of the evening," Cheryl proclaimed, rubbing her hands together. "Eat, drink and be merry, everyone."

As the rest of the group dispersed throughout the room, Veronica slowly made her way towards Jughead but Betty bit her to it. She watched as her best friend and her boyfriend kiss and hug.

She just wanted to thank him for the present and was curious as to how he knew mystery and horror were her favourite genre. This some how made her heart flutter and it was wrong yet she couldn't help but feel what she was feeling.

"Hey, you okay?" Archie snuggled behind her, kissing every inch of her neck.
Just then the song grey by why don't we started playing as the two couples slow danced to it.

Jughead was watching her from afar. He'd been staring at her intently almost the entire night; Her raven hair, her tanned, flawless skin, and her fierce chocolate eyes. She was a sight to be reckoned with. His own green eyes seemed to devour her slowly, becoming more and more entranced as she swung her hips to the slow music.

"Jughead... Did something happen between you and Veronica?" Betty asked suddenly catching his attention.

"What?!, What do you mean?" He knew exactly what she meant, it was also something he'd been debating ever since he and Veronica kissed. He couldn't forget that moment even though how hard he tried to avoid or hate her. It was just inevitable.

To be honest, Betty was his love of his life. He loved her and even though he knew with Veronica, it was just maybe some attraction, he couldn't ruin what he and Betty have.

Betty sighs "I don't know, it's just I've noticed some intimate stares and smiles between you two... and maybe there's something there since she's obviously pretty...forget it, maybe it's my head messing with me."

Jughead slowly cups her cheeks, gazing deep into her blue eyes.

"Look at me, Betty. Do I look like I'm playing with you. You're the only one I love Betty. Perhaps maybe, I've not been the best boyfriend but I'll always re-assure you." Jughead knew girls like Betty always need some assurance when dating them. It was hard but he loved her.

"Just hoping, you'll do the same for me Betty." Jughead asked as Betty smiled at her.
"I love you, Jughead." She whispers.

_________________

It was then later when Jughead accidentally met Veronica in one of the washroom at Kevin's.