FORTY-FIVE | The Win

Start from the beginning

"Same thing," I grumble, unlocking my new phone. I look at my messages and see one of my men, Killian, saying they broke into one of Yavok's clubs and kidnapped his second-in-command.

I evilly chuckle.

"You're exactly like Athena. The laugh of a devil. I'm surprised you haven't burned the world down."

"Don't give him any ideas, Ares."

Elijah stands in the doorway, staring at me.

"How was your therapy session?" I mumble, my mood already ruined.

He shrugs, "Good. I like Isabella."

I notice lipstick stains on the collar of his white T-shirt. I shake my head in disapproval. "Just keep it in your pants," I sternly tell him.

He nods, "Got it, boss."

"Where's Dante?" I ask him, changing the subject.

"In his room, playing video games," Ares answers.

"And what about—" I cut myself off when I realize I was going to ask about Athena.

"What about what?" Elijah asks.

I shake my head, "Nothing. Both of you get out. I have work to do." Ares happily leaves with his Oreos but Elijah stays.

"You haven't been sleeping, Lorenzo. You need to sleep."

"I don't have time to sleep. I have work to do."

Elijah sighs and shuts the door and walks over to me.

"Look we all know you go driving around, looking for Athena all night, and then come back early in the morning and pretend you were home the whole time," he whispers shouts.

"I don't."

"Yes, you do. I've seen you."

"You saw someone else."

"No, I didn't."

"Yes, you did—"

"Lorenzo. It's not bad to admit that you really are going everything you can to find her. Even when all—well most of us were in a dark place. But we are getting better. We're here to help you. So you will fucking sleep for once."

I lean back in my chair. "Fine. I will sleep in my room tonight. But I still don't know what you're talking about."

✩ ✩ ✩

I press the gas all the way down to the floor, speeding to one of Russian's warehouses. 

Elijah is ridiculous if he thinks I will ever listen to him. I don't need sleep. I just need more coffee. I slowly look around and realize I don't have any coffee with me. Whatever. I never needed it anyway.

My phone rings and I look at the caller ID. It's Elijah. For fucks sake, I've just left the house, how does he already know?

I roll down my window and throw my phone away. I know he will keep calling me. I don't have time for his bullshit.

An hour and a half later, I finally reach the warehouse and park my car. I get out of the car and see my men already waiting for me.

"Capo, sei sicuro che dovremmo farlo?" one of them asks me.

I slowly turn to look at him. "Se non vuoi farlo, allora puoi andartene, cazzo. Sappi solo che sarai morto domattina," I snarl.