FORTY-FIVE | The Win

Start from the beginning

I put the gun away and then open the other drawer and grab a brand-new phone. When the house burnt, everything in it was gone. So the files I had on everyone, the printed-out emails, and my old computer was gone.

Thankfully I had everything backed up on another computer. And another one. And another one. Just in case this house gets fucking burnt down as well.

Ares casually walks in, eating Oreos.

I nod in approval.

He wouldn't eat anything for days, and he lost a lot of weight. He was never fat, to begin with, I don't even know how that's possible but whatever. The amount of weight he lost, made him look sick.

Unfortunately for me, I had to get him back into eating and now he comes into my office to prove that he is eating and alive. Because this idiot decides to burn down hotels and restaurants that Yavok owns without me knowing.

"Today I ate, cereal, pancakes, waffles, muffins, a ham sandwich, and then for lunch, Greta made me soup and pasta. Then I went to the grocery store and bought some gummy bears, cookies, and Oreos," he lists out, sitting on the couch.

"Good. Make sure you get Greta to make you dinner in a few hours. And I got Diego to buy you some midnight snacks, they should be in your room."

It's not only Ares that I've had to help to get better. It's the twins. And Elijah.

The twins literally disowned each other for the first time ever. It was bound to happen, don't get me wrong, but I didn't know it would be so bad.

Domenico would do drugs. Street race while he's high. Beat people up at school for even mentioning Athena's name. He once helped Ares burn down a random building "for fun".

Dante was getting drunk, partying every day, coming home at three in the morning and he would be throwing up every night.

I had to force them to be brothers again. I had to get Domenico to stop his drug addiction. I had to stop Dante from going to parties and stop him from drinking. Now Domenico reads and Dante plays video games instead of doing reckless things.

Elijah would cry all the time. Cry in the morning. Cry when he's watching Gilmore Girls. Cry in the shower. Cry when he sees someone's shoelaces undone. Cry in the afternoon—he was just crying a lot. And the thing is I don't know how to deal with crying.

So I fucking sent him to therapy.

I didn't have time to help him sort out his crying obsession. Not when I was helping our other brothers.

And Marcello is unsavable at this point. I tried sending him to therapy. That didn't work, he killed the therapist. Tried sending him to a mental hospital. That didn't work either, he escaped. Tried locking him in his room, because he kept killing everyone. That didn't work, he kicked the door down.

So I've given up.

Athena will have to fix him when she comes back.

And with all that, the search for Athena was and still is going on. I've had meetings with the other mafias. I've gone to different countries. I've gone on missions, but we never found her but it doesn't mean I'll give up on her. I will never give up.

"Any updates on Athena?" Ares asks me, hopeful.

I shrug, "I have one of my men interrogating a Russian."

"Do you think he will talk?"

"He better. The last seven hundred ended up dead."

"Eight hundred and fifty-five," he corrects.