Chapter 11

If you remember I already gave you the flashback so it's time to get back to the funeral.

I pretended to be asleep when Annabel got up and I heard her preparing her speech. Touching! She got ready in all black and went downstairs to make breakfast. 

After 30 minutes to be exact Annabel shouted my name and said we were to leave for the church in order for us not to be late. I changed my clothes to all black too and headed down.

Annabel and I locked eyes and I said to her "Annabel, you've got this" she only nodded and we proceeded.

The church was only three blocks away so we walked over there and sat down. We were pretty early, we arrived there at 7:00am while the funeral service was to proceed at 8:00am. We sat at the front row and bowed our heads.

Annabel said a silent prayer and so did I. I was grateful for the second chance I had gotten and what better opportunity to tell God that than at Church?

People starting walking in gradually, till the church was full and it was time to start the procession.

The choir started singing "this world is not my own" and few members of the church who were close to Annabel's mother were crying. The priest cleared his throat and  started with a prayer. He performed all the rites, preached and ended everything with another prayer.

After the service was over, Annabel walked up front to her mothers casket which lay up front on the altar and looked at it. The words she whispered to her mother almost broke me.
"Mom you look so beautiful today. We dressed you up in your favourite clothes and I'm sure the angels would be so happy knowing you're there".

The members of the church started coming to see the corpse and offer their condolences to Annabel, telling her how sweet and loving her mother was and saying if she needed anything she could always come to them.

Annabel's mother was moved to the cemetery where she was finally layed to rest.

It was time for the speech and Annabel stood up and went to stand on the podium.

She cleared her throat and began.
"Annabel stop trying to cook your horrible tamales in the kitchen, Annabel I'm worried about you stop burying yourself in all those books and talk to a real person you see, Anna stop ignoring me,Anna let's go shopping stop doing it alone, Anna don't do this, Anna don't do that, Anna! and my response was always no, no,no. Jokes on me now. I really have to do all those things on my own now. Only that your sweet nagging voice won't be there to scold me.

I never prioritized you and now I don't even have the chance to anymore. I guess you really don't know what you have untill you've lost it. The person who wrote that quote must have known me personally".

She gave an uneasy laugh took a deep breath and continued. "I lost my silver which was dad and now I've lost my gold which is you mom. I have nothing or no one left. The angels needed you more than I did. At least that's what I always tell myself, but for how long?

Mom, you always loved smiling that you even died with a smile on your face. I hope you keep on smiling in heaven. You and dad must have sent help for me. I received it, and I'm thankful so I hope you also get help in heaven. Death is never the end mama, till we meet to smile again. I love you".

She ended her speech, took a rose out of the bouquet and threw the first rose in. Others followed suit.

Annabel's real father Mr Jefferson came up last and threw in his rose and turned to look at Annabel. She fell into his arms and sobbed. He held her ever so gently and rubbed her back while soothing her hair without saying anything. Just what she needed.

I felt like I was Intruding on a personal moment so I took a step back and walked over to a tree I saw and stood there.

"I didn't think you could actually do it" a chill voice said behind me.

"Ahh!" I screamed and jumped back. Behind me smirking was The Spirit of choice and repercussion or as I like to call big guy.
"Why'd you have to scare me like that" I scolded.

He laughed "well what can I say no one ever sees me coming that's my appeal."

"First of eww,and second, what are you doing here" I asked because he hasn't showed up since and when he does show up, he scares me shitless.

"It's time for you to move on to your next assignment. You successfully accomplished this one. You helped someone who was suffering from pain and depression. You'll move on to the next phase. So congratulations!🎉

"Wait what? I actually did it? And here I was fearing that I would turn into dust." I literally was so overjoyed.

"Great! that's enough celebration. Let's go" he said.

I stood in one place confused "you mean now?"

"Yes now, or would you rather you turn into dust?" He asked

"No, no, no" I immediately said I didn't want to disappear "I was just wondering if I could say goodbye to Annabel one last time". I tried putting on my cutest face.

"Well you have one minute" he told me.

"Thank you so so much!" And I ran off to go find Annabel. I saw her with her father and they were still in each other's arms and I was happy for her.

On seeing me, she stepped away from her father gave an excuse that she needed to use the rest room and she walked right past me motioning for me to follow her. I followed suit.

We went behind another bit tree and she tried hugging me. Too bad because she just hugged the air and almost fell down but she regained balance and we laughed over it.

"I forgot"

"Yeah it's okay sometimes I forget too" I assured her. I sighed, looked straight into her eyes and said to her. "Annabel you are one strong and brave girl. I love how far you've come in these three days and I just wanted to let you know that I'm happy that I got to know you and experience everything with you. The sad and happy. The bad, worse and subsequently better versions of you. You are beautiful and so is your heart Annabel, never forget that. You've suffered enough and you deserve everything beautiful and I hope you get it forever" I finished with a breath.

Annabel did a nervous laugh "why does this sound like a goodbye speech?".

When she saw that I was quiet, she started shaking her head slowly and started muttering "no,no,no" while backing away.

I came closer to her and she was on the brink of tears. "Annabel I'm not leaving you forever I'll always be here". I told her .

"Is there a way you could stay Rebi? These three days feel like a year to me and I hate to see you go".

"But I have to go, I have my own mission to accomplish I have to see my family".

She nodded in understanding " I wish you good luck in returning back to your parents Rebi".

"Thank you Anna, I'll miss you a lot please take care of yourself". I advised her "I would have given you a huge hug if I could but I can't so how about this" I took off a friendship bracelet that I had and gave it to her. She smiled as it landed in her palms. Took off her necklace and wanted giving it to me

I shook my head,"no I can't take this, your father gave that to you".

She dropped it in my palms regardless. It fell on the floor. "You're my family now". She said "please take it".

I looked her nodded my head, picked it up from the floor, and clasped it around my neck. It was a heart shaped locket. "It's beautiful Anna, thank you!". To that she only smiled.

Just then, Big guy appeared. He cleared his throat and announced "your one minute was over 8 minutes ago. It's time to go now". I nodded and waved to Annabel as he and I disappeared.