Destiny's Rose - [9]

Hey guys! I'm gonna try this whole author's note thing. This is kinda my first time so no making fun. Well, anyway, I really hope you like this new chapter. I kind of like it, ya know, kind not. Oh! I'd also like to mention that if anyone has any suggestions for people to "be" Sara or John or Cole or really anyone in the story, please suggest them!! I've been searching and I just can't find anyone who has the right attitude or looks... Anyone is open as long as I could google search their name and find a pic. Alright, thanks for reading guys. I guess you could vote or comment if you want... I don't know...

CHAPTER 7

The raucous noises of revelry, along with the sweet smell of roasted meat, floated through openings in the Prince's carriage. Cole could barely resist joining in the festivities.

“We've traveled halfway, Prince Cole,” a soldier informed Sam, a smile on his face.

*   *   *

Sara's stomach twisted in her body. It was only a dinner party. Wesley wouldn't try anything again. No, he couldn't. But he could, couldn't he? He had done it once; what was to stop him from kissing her again? John. John would be there for her. Unless, of course, Wesley became his usual self and tormented John until he had to leave. Then who would protect her? No one. Wesley would get her again, but this time no one would stop it. A lump rose in Sara's throat, her heart pounding faster at the possibility of Wesley getting to her again. No, John would save her. He had to, he promised.

“Sara,” Natalie said, snapping her fingers to get Sara's attention, “stop making those funny faces. You look sick. Are you going to be alright?”

Sara wanted to tell Natalie everything, she wanted Natalie to hold her and tell her it would be alright, she wanted Natalie to make the twisted feeling in her stomach disappear. Instead, Sara told Natalie it was alright, everything was fine. She couldn't keep Natalie from having a good night. That'd be abominable.

“Well, other than those wretched expressions and that pale coloring, you look absolutely magnificent. Are you sure you're alright?”

Sara forced a smile, nodding.

“Sara,” Natalie worried, “you would tell me if something was wrong, wouldn't you?”

Sara nodded again.

“Okay, let's get down to the dinner party then,” Natalie paused before adding, “and your eyes look absolutely stunning with that dress.”

Sara gave Natalie a quick smile before heading to the door, a lump still in her throat.

Downstairs, beyond Sara's hearing, her mother whispered, “how are we to keep them apart?”

Mr. Allan wore an exhausted expression; he loved his daughter Sara dearly, but it seemed John would never court her. If they could keep John and Sara apart, perhaps it would give Sara another chance with Wesley. “I suppose we could entertain the two children, keep them busy all night.”

Mrs. Allen pondered the idea for a moment before nodding, “Alright, that might do. Why don't you keep track of that John, and I'll start Sara talking to Wesley.”

“Mother,” Paul called, “the guests are almost here.”

“Coming,” his mother trilled. She turned to her husband, “Oh my, oh my, we are such slippery folks, keeping two children away from each other, but what else might we do? Oh my, oh my...”

To the door came Valerie's family, greeted immediately by Paul and his mother. Something seemed off about Valerie to Mrs. Allan, but she couldn't quite place it. She had some sort of a forlorn, defeated air about her... Oh, but it all must be in her imagination.