35. 𝘊𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴

Song: Everybody talks by Neon Trees

**

~ Asher Alexander Bernardi ~

My date was fantastic.

Magical even...

Now I'm in the hospital...

Allow me to explain.

"This is my favorite thing in the world." Nico mumbles as he lays me back onto the grass and placed his weight on top of me, slowly connecting his lips to mine

"It's my second favorite thing." I nearly whisper as we pull apart.

"Second? I'm wounded."

"Nothing could beat tea... Sorry."

"Oh well if that's the case, I suppose I understand."

"Really?"

"Not at all." He replies as my phone starts obnoxiously ringing. "That's the eighth time your phone has gone off, you should answer it... If it's Alessandro he probably already died of a heart attack. Answer it, it may be important."

Reluctantly grabbing my phone out of my pocket and viewing the caller ID, 'Salvatore'.

"Hey." I answer, slightly annoyed that he feels the need to interrupt me.

"Ash, Mattia is in the hospital, he was hurt during one of his missions." He breathlessly explained.

"What?! Which hospital?"

"I'll send you the location."

"Okay... I'll be there soon."

"What's going on?" Nico asked as I shakily removed my phone from my ear.

"My brother is hurt.. I'm sorry.. I have to go."

"I'll go with you."

"I think I should deal with this on my own... But if you could drop me off I would be grateful."

"Of course, let's go."

That's how I found myself rushing down the halls on a hospital, in search of someone that looks familiar.

Finally I saw him and without thinking I said, "Dad, what hap-" I stopped speaking the second I registered the words that left my mouth, "s-sorry I mean..."

It's not like it's the first slip up, but ever since the DNA test I have been trying to watch what I say, he says he doesn't hate me and I really don't want that to change.

"Asher, breathe." Alessandro interrupts while wrapping his arms tightly around me, "It's okay... We're going to be okay. You can call me whatever makes you the most comfortable. It's an honor to be your dad, Ash, and if that's what you want to refer to me as... That's okay."