Introduction

Moving across the country to California hadn't been an easy choice. Sure I had my Uncle who lived out here, but I had no idea what to expect. I had been a military brat my entire life, so the constant moving wasn't an unfamiliar idea for me. The unfamiliar part was the decision to leave my parents behind in favor for a uncle who I only had faint memories of from childhood. I had always liked him, truthfully though, he was just my excuse for escape.

After the death of my brother, my parents grew distant. They had never been the most proactive parents to begin with, but with the death of Aiden, they only grew further away. My father was dedicated to hos position in the Navy. He worked hard my whole life to further his career. Most days it seemed to be all he cared for. My mother was content to glue herself to his side and follow his every word. I could never really tell if it was love that kept her so attached to him. Maybe it was to her, but it never seemed like it to me.

With Aiden they preferred to play the more active role of parents. He made it easy on them though. He excelled in just about every aspect of life. I was content to watch him shine growing up. Staying hidden in his shadow made my life easier. Our large age gap made things simpler for me as well. When I was young I idolized him, but once the age gap started to become more prominent, our connection grew apart. Initially it was upsetting, but looking back on it, I believe it made his death easier on me.

After his unexpected death is when I made the decision to leave. I needed to start living life for myself. My Uncle made things easier. He had given me a room in his house to come and go as I pleased. He worked at the nearby Navy base and was hardly ever home. We didn't seem much of each other. He functioned more as a roommate then a family member. I was okay with it though. I came to California for a fresh start in life, and this sort of living situation offered it for me.

I got a dog. I got a job at a local bar on the beach that seemed to be popular among the Navy folk that worked nearby. I met my best friend who I eventually moved in with. I made friends with her friends. 

And then I met Jake. 

Authors note:
Hi! Thank you for giving my little sorry a try! It's been several several years since I've written a fan-fiction, but I am seriously obsessed with this movie ,and with Hangman's character as a whole, that I just had to write about it. I'm unsure of how frequent updates will be, but I will try my best!
My husband is actually a pilot in the Coast Guard, so I'm going to try my hardest in getting lingo and terminology, when used, correct. It's been a very long time also since I've sat down to just write a story of any kind. So my right style may be rusty, so I'm here for any helpful critiques anyone is willing to throw at me! Thanks so much again and I hope you enjoy!

I have a couple important things to note about this story. First off the main character is a completely invited one who is not part of the original story. She and Jake dated for a year and then we're separated, so this story picks up after they are reunited a year later. Second, I have changed several key points in here to better fit how I see the scenarios fitting. For example, the biggest change I've made is that Jake was named mission leader instead of Maverick. This will play a massive part later on. I will do my best to follow along with the story line other wise.