When he put the words together in that way...it made me feel worse than I already was. Trying to prove my point? I wasn't necessarily trying to prove anything. It was more of convincing myself that I could move on from everything.

Right?

If there was anyone I was indeed proving anything to, it would be myself, Kaira. No one else.

Daniel flicked my head lightly, and I brought my hand to the area he'd hit reflexively. "Oww!"

"You were doing it again." His smooth as silk forehead was lined in a slight frown. I couldn't ask what he meant as he answered my intended question, "You're gazing into space, getting lost in your thoughts. I knew something was wrong."

"How did you know?"

"That, my dear friend, shouldn't be a question. It's like asking how water take enter coconut? It's something that needs no explanation, only to be noted." Daniel said, his voice having some sense of finality in it.

"This is just one of the few times you get lucky enough to know what I'm thinking." I folded my arms.

"Na so."

"Exactly."

"Anyway, don't  put too much pressure on yourself. Pressure doesn't do you any good."

Suddenly, my black laced-up shoes were beautiful to look at. "What can I do? I only found out that I wasn't good at F/maths when he left. His going away didn't just affect me. It affected my Further Maths scores."

Daniel's face softened, the frown disappearing to give way for a look of understanding.

"I can help you, if you want," he suggested, and I continued walking down the stairs again, Daniel closely following suit.

"I can do it on my own."

Due to his longer legs, he walked two steps ahead of me. He asked, sounding annoyed, "Why are you so stubborn?"

"I'm not stubborn."

"Kaira, you are."

"I am not stubborn," I maintained my ground, "I just want to study my way. My own way. I'm getting somewhere."

"You know going round the same circle over and over won't miraculously increase its circumference, right?" Daniel asked as if I was some kid in nursery class. "Unless there's some form of outer influence like a miracle or getting tutored, you'll keep on having that score range."

Repeating my previous statement, I said, "I am getting somewhere."

"If you're indeed getting somewhere, why is F/maths one of the few subjects that I pass you i-Jesus Christ...my life is sad as fuck," Daniel placed his hands on his head, causing me to smile a little.

"You're not serious."

"I'm serious, Kaira."

"You're sha not going to give me Further Maths tutorials."

Daniel stopped climbing down and folded his arms. He should have known that I wouldn't give up so easily. I liked doing things without influences. And studying wasn't an exception.

"What is your problem?"

"Nothing." I braced myself for my best friend's reaction, gripping the cold railing when I said, "You're also helping Amara with her work already."

The way Daniel's face normally contorted into a frown when frustrated was nothing compared to the way it did now. "Kaira, why are you doing this?"

"Because I don't want you to help me, and...I also don't want to become a burden to you."