07

Since it was a Friday, Amara came over to my house for a girl's night as approved by my beloved elder sister, Kosi. This sleepover thing started during SS1 third term around the period of our terminal exams. Now it's a thing for us. Only whenever we had the strength to, however. When we didn't, we would video call ourselves.

I sat by the dining in my blue nightgown, solving the Math assignment that Mr. Odebode had given us to solve over the weekend. Kosi sat across me equally in a nightgown, air pods in both ears as she used her phone. Amara and I usually did our assignments first before starting the activities we planned out for the night. This time however, Amara, clad in an ice cream patterned pyjamas, came smiling into the dining room as she typed away on her phone.

To think that I even brought her books out for her. "Ezeh Amarachukwu, drop your phone and come here."

She didn't listen. Instead she giggled. Giggled! What the hell is even going on in that big head of hers?

"Amara!" I shouted. In the enclosed room, save for the opening that linked the room to he kitchen, my voice was loud enough to kill a bird. I swear, I sounded like a banshee. Comparing it to a banshee's was just me being too nice.

My sister and best friend stared at me; both had their eyes wide open, and I smiled satisfactorily. Yes, look at me people. Though I felt sorry for disturbing Kosi, I had done what was needed. "Good. Now I have your attention."

"Kaira, why the noise?" My older sister frowned. "You know I don't like it."

"Sorry. I was only trying to get Amara's attention." I took the chance to play the younger sister in need. "She hasn't dropped her phone since we got home, and we need to do our Math assignment. That's the only reason I shouted her name like that."

"So that's why you screamed my name like that." Amara rolled her eyes. "Very lady-like of you."

"Amara." Kosi called out, making Amara come over to sit with us. Amara dropped her phone on the glass-surfaced table.

"Yes?"

She didn't take her eyes off Amara for one second. Like my mum, Kosi never joked with things related to studies. Ah, this is the one time that I love when she goes into her bossy mode. "Leave your phone, Amarachi. Do your assignment now."

"But I--" Amara tried to talk.

"No buts, Amara. Just do as I say."

Amara let out an exasperated sigh, adjusting in the chair. "Fine. I was only chatting though. I was going to drop the phone soon."

"Was going to--"

"Shut up," Amara cut me short and hissed. I held in the laughter threatening to escape. Her cheeks puffed up whenever she was angry or annoyed, giving her a very funny countenance. What made her face even funnier? More annoyance. But to be honest, this wasn't my plan at all.

"Oya, hand me your phone." Kosi stretched.

"Kosi nau." Amara tried pulling a cute face. Tried.

"Don't worry; your phone isn't running away as it doesn't have legs. Besides, you guys always start with your assignments first, which is better," Kosi said with an encouraging nod. "Think about it; when you're done with your work, you'll spend time with your best friend, Kaira, and you'll get to use your phone again."

Amara ran her hand through her hair as if considering what my sister just said. "Ok, fine. You win."

"Good."

Two assignments and several snubs away, it was safe to say that Amara and I were done with school work, and Girl's night could officially commence! Well...I couldn't be so sure that it would go smoothly. Ever since Kosi took-more like seized-her phone, her anger never subsided. Even when I tried to bribe her with  my chocolate cookies into forgiving me, she didn't change her mind. No one ever refused my treats, apart from my best friend.