04

I liked being in school early. When there's little to no noise in the school. When I could gather my books and thoughts in preparation for the first subject of the day. Like my eyes couldn't become any bigger, they widened when I walked in to find Daniel and Nathan chatting. Yes, Daniel, like me, comes early to school but the new guy? I just didn't think he would be the type.

Wow, two days into the school's resumption and they're such good friends. I can't help wondering how boys manage to do it. They can go from complete strangers who have never met to brothers in less than.

I have no idea how Daniel got past his jealousy and brought himself to be free with Nathan. While being his seat partner, I haven't even managed to spring up a two-sentenced conversation with him. Well, it's not like his presence changes anything. So I walked in, greeted them and went to my seat to prepare myself for the day.

Turning my attention from the boys, who were gisting about something I didn't know, to the chemistry text book in front of me, I flipped it open. The equations were more satisfying than the mystery of what goes on in boys' heads. The tiny print made me regret not bringing my glasses. Using my glasses added to my already large points in being a nerd. I also despised the nickname, four eyes, my classmates called me whenever I wore it. So I saved wearing them for when I was home.

I drew my head closer to the book, squinting my eyes to know what the subscript below CH was.

Oh, that's three...

"Are you having any issues with Chemistry?"

I jolted in my seat, bringing my hand to my chest.

What's this feeling of déjà vu?

I held my breath then turned to the brown eyed boy beside me. He had a look of concern on his face. "Sorry I startled you."

"N-no, it's fine." My voice came off shaky and Daniel chuckled, already in front of me. I glared at Daniel for finding humour in my startled state.

Be calm, oh voice of mine.

"Kaira you need to be aware of your surroundings." Daniel shook his head and propped himself on my desk. "I've said it before."

"She's usually like this?" Nathan arched a brow, folding his arms across his chest.

"Uh-huh."

The idiotic friend of mine talked about me like I wasn't here. Way to go, Daniel. Way to go.

I returned my attention to my textbook, flipping through till I found a topic I wasn't conversant with. They could continue talking about me for all I care. Hmph!

Collision Theory. The topic didn't sound too bad. I read further, stopping when Daniel tapped my hand. I frowned. "What?"

"You haven't answered Nathan's question yet." He smiled. Somehow, I felt like he was teasing me. Of course, he was.

I looked at Nathan, his innocent eyes making me feel bad for ignoring him. "I like Chemistry. I don't have any problem with it."

But Daniel tsked and snapped his fingers. "Liking something is different from understanding it."

Somehow it felt like he was referring to something else. Or someone else.

"Don't try to pull a smart one on me, Einstein."

"I'm no Einstein, Edison." Daniel shook his head and smirked. I was about opening my mouth when he continued. "Let's stop this. I know you're gonna go on and on. You're Kaira after all."

I shrunk in my seat. "Meh." Since I didn't know what else to say or do.

I heard a chair screech closer to mine and when I looked up, Daniel was already out of the class, leaving me here alone with Nathan. Speaking of. Nathan tilted his head to the side. "Can I read with you?"

Holy mother of swimming daisies.

You're already beside me, would you even take no for an answer?

Rather will I give no as an answer?

"Sure." I noticed the little greens in his irises. I've been quite wrong all this time. He's hazel eyed. Not brown. Hazel. Just like my sister's. As I observed his eyes, he didn't bother looking away.

Okay, this is getting awkward.

I coughed and faced my textbook once more. "So, um, I am reading Collision Theory."

"Oh, that."

"Yeah, that." I nodded, grabbing my notepad and my pink pen. "It's a new topic for me."

"Well, not to be cocky, it's been treated back home, in Canada."

"Canada, huh?" I said to myself as I jotted down some points. I've loved the idea of going to that country. Only that my mum preferred taking us on trips to a particular state in the US. Whenever we did go, I felt like complaining or staying back, but I've always known there's no gain in doing that.

"Yeah, Canada." He heard me. The slight coldness of his voice caught my attention instead.

I dropped my pen. "How was life there?"

"Pretty much okay."

Pretty much okay? Is he okay? Who the hell gives that as a reply? I mean, this was my dream vacation location.

"What's it?" His eyebrows were lifted. Did he notice my reaction?

I placed the tip of my pen on my lip as I read the texts of my chemistry book. All the words it contained bounced off my brain, clearly not registering in my mind. Should I tell him how I feel about what he said? Should I not?

"You can't just...em, describe your life over there in just three words." I still looked at my textbook, pretending to read it's contents. Meanwhile, I was fully aware of everything he did. Everything he said. What's even wrong with me?

I could sense it. That aura. "Well, what else can I say? I don't know. That's how best I can describe life there. It's--"

I nodded, cutting him off, biting the cap of my pen. "It's ok. I'm sorry for talking like that."

I couldn't have things getting any more awkward.

"No worries." He said, before adding, "At least you were open about your opinion."

One quick question; is it fair to get reads with three figures while the votes are double-figured (っ˘̩╭╮˘̩)っ

So, how's this chapter?

• VOTE |•| COMMENT |•| SHARE •

Thanks so much for reading! I really really reaallly appreciate it!