5: I Actually "Awwed" Internally While Writing This Chapter

Start from the beginning

But Gerard was alive, and he was with Frank, and even though Mikey wanted to be with his brother more than anything, it warmed his heart to know that Gerard had someone who loved him as much as Frank did.

Still, it had hurt more than Mikey expected to see no hint of recognition in Gerard's eyes, but he shouldn't have anticipated anything different. Deep down, Mikey had been hoping that Gerard would know who he was, even though God had assured him that wasn't possible, but that didn't ease the sting of having his own brother view him as a stranger.

Mikey ached to speak with him again, to stay up all night discussing everything and nothing with his brother, to feel his familiar arms pull him into a hug when he needed it most, but watching from afar was all he could do now, and that was definitely better than nothing.

Mikey had been doing just that when he saw the earthquake hit, and he had rushed down to Belleville before he could rethink his actions, terrified for Gerard's safety. He had been right to come, even if God disagreed with him, and Mikey didn't regret his rash decision, no matter what consequences he received because of it.

Turning a corner down a narrow side street, Mikey glanced around to make sure he was alone before turning himself invisible to the human eye so he could release his wings once again and take to the air, intent on returning to Heaven as soon as possible so he could convince Brendon to go to Frank before any other calamity befell his brother.

Mikey didn't know what punishment he would receive if word got out that angels were real, but he just couldn't let Gerard die, he refused to lose his brother all because of a stupid rule, and he would take whatever was given to him once he returned home.

~~~

Gerard could only watch as his winged savior disappeared down a narrow alley, his legs shaking too much to chase after him, even though he was desperate for answers to all of the questions the man's presence had stirred up.

The stranger's parting words were what really threw Gerard's brain into a flurry of confusion - "don't let Frank know I was here". Why would this man care if Frank knew about him or not, and even more importantly, how did he even know Frank's name in the first place?

This was just too much craziness for Gerard to deal with right now; his head was spinning, and he didn't even know what to think. Had this creature been watching them - it made sense in a confusing sort of way, and it would explain how he had known that Gerard was in trouble, but why would he be interested in them?

He was saved from pondering it any longer though when the sound of approaching feet became louder, and Gerard glimpsed a familiar figure out of the corner of his eye.

Turning back the other way, Gerard almost started crying when he saw Frank barreling toward him, all thoughts of winged beings temporarily pushed to the back of his mind at the sight of his husband, who was sweating and out of breath, but unharmed - thank fuck.

"Gee!" Frank exclaimed happily before throwing himself into Gerard's arms, nearly knocking the taller man down in the process.

"Hey sugar," Gerard smiled against the top of Frank's head as he clutched him close to his chest, finally allowing his body to relax now that he had been reunited with Frank. Even though they had only been separated for about fifteen minutes, it still felt like years to Gerard.

"I was so worried about you! Did you make it off the balcony in time?" Frank pulled back from Gerard's arms so he could meet his eyes as he spoke.

"I didn't...it fell in on me, but someone saved me. He was just here, but he took off before I could thank him," Gerard looked around one last time, hoping to catch a glimpse of the stranger who possessed wings, but he didn't see anyone in the nearby vicinity.