Forty Four

The trial has come, it was not only for Max but for Felice as well. She had tricked me, distracted me so I wouldn't notice Max until it was too late. An arm I knew very well snaked around my waist, pulling me close. "Are you sure you want to go to this?" Ash pressed once again as I try to lift a suitcase of ours into the back of his truck.

"Ash, I need this. I need to see him go down." I whisper softly, looking up into his brilliant blue eyes. We knew this would tear me apart, but I needed it. I needed to see him either put down for his crimes or locked away in a cell with the key thrown away.

He searched my eyes and my mind, knowing every doubt and every anxiety that raced through my thoughts, but he nodded. "Fine, but I will be there every step of the way."

I smile softly, "I wouldn't have it any other way."

---

I sit in my very own throne, watching as the guard's shove in Max, bringing him to his knees below the raised platform where the thrones sat. I watched in disdain, Echo in full control, as Max bared his neck in submission to me. Echo smirks down at him, glad to finally be in control. Everyone sat back, awaiting silently for me to speak.

Max looked panicked, fear in his eyes. She relished in his fear, slowly she stood.

"Max?" Echo purred dangerously, poisoned honey dripped from her lips. Slowly, he looked up into her eyes like she wanted.

"Yes, Luna?" He whispered, the silver chains burning through his pale skin. Echo crouched down, giving him a fake pout.

"Why so scared, Maxy?" She cooed, dragging a sharp claw gently down his jaw to press lightly at the artery on his neck. Just one little slash, and he could be dead. But no. She wanted him to suffer. To beg for mercy. As we did. As we begged for our family's lives. For our lives. We begged, and now, so would he.

Max refused to meet her eyes now, but that only amused Echo. Peals of laughter fell from our lips, but I knew very well it wasn't full of humor anymore. It was an insane laugh, one that sent chills down everyone's spine.

"Tell me," Echo pauses, tilting Max's head up so he could meet our silver eyes. "After all these years, why would you turn your back on us at the very moment we needed you?" She tilted her head like a confused puppy, but the look in her eyes made Max shiver in dread.

"Please, Luna! Don't kill me! I have a mate now, and-and, I'll do anything! Just please." Max whimpers out, begging me to live.

"I asked a question, Maxwell. I didn't tell you to beg yet." Echo snarled, tightening her fist around Maxwell's throat.

"Sorry, Luna!" He wheezed out, face purple from not breathing. Echo laughed, dropping his body to the floor. He coughed loudly, looking up in pleading. All Echo did was raise an eyebrow, staring down at him as our Luna Dominance filled the air.

"Because I wanted to be Alpha! I grew up being told I'd be worthless if I wasn't. I just wanted for my parents to love me. For you to love me." Max's voice trails off, defeat entering his eyes. Echo paused, bending down onto Max's level.

"I have always loved you. You are my brother, despite what you have done, and you were apart of my Pack. You were my best friend. But," She paused, hurt laced her tone as she gulped harshly and put a wall between our emotions and us.

"You betrayed us." She hissed, grabbing his neck and squeezing just tight enough to cause panic but no harm. His eyes widened comically, his face turning red as he tried gasping for breath. "Let Flint speak." She ordered, Max's wolf surfaced immediately, his eyes turning a glowing orange.

"I told him to never do this, so I am deeply grateful that you would be willing to let us come home once he changes. I just want my mate back, and he had to ruin it for us." Max's wolf whimpers, I sigh as I cradle his head. Echo finally allowing me to take control, knowing I was better at dealing with emotional moments.

"I know, just help try to get him to realize his mistake. Help him change." I press a kiss to Max's forehead, whimpering as I turn and leave him there. It was hard to walk away, but I knew it was needed. I knew I had to leave. Or else Echo would very well murder him.

Wiping away my hot tears, I leave the Palace and head to the car. It was time to go, or else I might just stay and try to get him out. As irrational that sounds, it would have been something I'd do. I couldn't stay to hear what his punishment was. If I did, it might just kill me.